NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello!

Ptolemaeus

I have just registered after being just a viewer on here for a week or so now.

I have always had a passing interest in the night sky and been fascinated by it, but literally know nothing about it and have always been a bit daunted and at a loss on how to 'get into' the hobby, as a result never really pursuing it past having a toy telescope as a teenager, (quite some years ago now!)

Recently reading about the Geminids meteor shower and meandering through the Internet as you do, led me to this very forum, where I read this thread and the attached article: http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/72869-essential-reading-those-who-thinking-about-getting-into-astronomy.html.

That thread alone has inspired me to take an active interest in the hobby, I have ordered 'NIGHTWATCH A PRACTICAL GUIDE TO VIEWING THE UNIVERSE' which after researching seems to be the most recommended beginners book, and in the new year I intend to invest in a quality pair of binoculars, which before seeing this forum I had no idea you could use for star gazing.

Sorry for rambling, I would just like to thank the author of that thread, it's participants and the author of the attached article for putting into simple terms how an absolute beginner can get started in this fascinating hobby. I thoroughly look forward to participating in this forum.

:)

Hi and welcome to SGL, Ptolemaeus. :) Binoculars are a great way to get started, and they don't have to be expensive ones either. I sauntered around the sky for a year with a pair of 7x35s and a small $5 guide book. Lots of great memories.

Btw, did you know there's a lunar crater named after you? :icon_eek:

Hi Ptolemaeus,

A warm welcome to SGL, sage advice to commence with bins but don`t go overboard and buy them to large, nothing greater than 10x50 for hand held use or you will find them difficult to hold steady without a support, extending your library to include : Turn Left at Orion, will help you find your way around the sky as will the free program Stellarium whatever you do enjoy your new hobby and the forum.

John.

Hi Ptolemaeus,

Welcome to SGL.

I agree with John, a pair of binoculars are a great way to start and I would like to recommend 'Astronomy with Binoculars' by Patrick Moore. Its agreat start to astronomy as is 'Turn left at Orion'.

Thank you all for the recommendations. I am fully hoping to 'ransack my library' over the coming weeks and months, and the suggestions are much appreciated.

I am not sure which binoculars I will be buying yet, I hope to be able to make a more informed decision after I have done a bit more research, then maybe look to purchase some in January, i'm in no rush.

The area of Astrophotography really interests me and I hope to someday be in a position to partake, but one step at a time eh? :)

Archived