Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dew fest & Horsehead!

stefski

What a great night last night turned out to be.....

It was clear from very early on, but when I went out at 9pm (after my telescope had cooled) I couldn't see any stars below about 25deg altitude....Oh no, dew I thought.....Sure enough, it was quite literally pouring off my OTA....Time to whack up the dew heaters to warp factor 10. Any way, I cruised around a lot of Orion using my trusty Watec camera on the Nx11. Beautiful views of THE nebula and M78. Then at about 10ish, the dew disappeared and so I went for a few faint ones, e.g. the flame/traintrack nebula (NGC 2024?- can't remember off the top of my head). This was stunning, with the flame-like dark lane clearly visible....I then thought, what the heck, let's give the Horsehead a go. Yes, I know you're supposed to get your Hbeta filter on but I don't have one!.... At first I thought it wasn't there until I realised that all the pictures you always see of this nebula are with very wide fields of view and, in fact, this famous dark intrusion is a lot bigger then you think - especially given the fact that my fov with the watec is about 21'.....And there it was....One side of my view was dark with stars in in it. The other half of the view had a very faint nebulous glow with a large horsehead-like dark lane cut into, the Horsehead Nebula:D wahoo! To say I was chuffed is an understatement...I ran into the house and told my wife, who was distinctly unimpressed. Oh well you can't please everyone I suppose!:)

Stef

Hello Stef. I copy that experience with a 12" SCT and Watec 120n, what a great camera it is, cheapest way to upgrade your effective aperture by far. Nearly missed the Horse Head for the same reason, expected it to be much smaller. Did you use an F3.3 reducer?

If you've got an 18" then it should be easy from a dark site. I've seen it visually (i.e. through the eyepiece, the ole-fashioned way) with my 12" flextube and UHC filter at a mag 6 site.

Thats pretty impressive Andrew.

If you've got an 18" then it should be easy from a dark site. I've seen it visually (i.e. through the eyepiece, the ole-fashioned way) with my 12" flextube and UHC filter at a mag 6 site.

That's indeed impressive.

I'll give it a go soon, as Orion is getting better in the SKy now. I don't own an UHC (a bit of a hole in my collection actually...)but i guess i can barrow one from a deepsky friend over here.

Archived