Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

10/12/09 - Nebulae and meteors

george7378

Hi all,

I didn't have the 'scope tonight, but I had a chance to do some binocular stargazing:

Sights

- M31

- Cone Nebula (I think)

- Orion Nebula

- 6 meteors

- Mars

- An exceptionally clear sky

I started out looking at M31 which was visible with the naked eye. I was even able to make out the bulge in the cetnre with binoculars. This was great. There is nothing like a night under the stars after school.

I also took a look at the Orion Nebula (M42), and the nebulosity was very visible as it is rising ever higher above the horizon.

I also looked for the Cone Nebula, and I think I found it using star-hopping from Betelgeuse until I found it's location in Stellarium. I saw what appeared to be a 3rd magnitude star in the vicinity of the 6th magnitude star which was my final pointer, but I couldn't make out any nebulosity. I will have the scope tomorrow, and I will definitely be turning to the Cone Nebula to have a look.

Then, I took a quick look at Mars which I saw for the first time, but unsurprisingly, no detail was visible with binoculars.

I saw a total of 6 meteors too, which is another personal record.

I was thinking of everyone else and wondering who was also stargazing tonight - was anyone?

I will be having a whole night with the 'scope tomorrow, and my questions include:

Will I be able to see any nebulosity around the Cone Nebula with a 130mm 'scope? What about the Rosette Nebula?

Thanks everyone!!

Addition: YEAH!! I just saw a massive FIREBALL! I was able to watch it for a number of seconds, and even saw smaller parts breaking off!

cloud9: I'm not sure of the radiant, but most were north to south.

I've seen some BRIGHT meteors in my time which left amazingly bright ion trails behind them but i have never actually seen a true "fireball" meteor breaking up on entry. THAT would be the icing on the cake.

SORRY.................i tell a lie. Of course i have seen fireballs in my time. It was about 10 yrs ago while i was on holiday on Gran Canaria. I cant remember off hand what time of year it was but it was late, close to Christmas so i think it may have been the Leonids (in Nov). I was on my way back to my apartment and noticed a lot of people standing along the seafront looking upwards..............so i joined them. I must have seen 30 meteors within the space of 10 mins. They were ALL huge and bright and looked like sparklers. They had tails behind them with "sparks" flying off of them.

Sounds like you had a great time George. :icon_eek: I always miss the Geminids because it's so cold here (tonight will be -24C with a -35C wind chill). Needless to say i'll be doing my meteor observing through the eyes of others again this year. :)

The Rosette is very large.. try to use an eyepiece that gives a field of view at least three times as wide as the nebula, and Use an O-III filter if you have one. The filter really makes it pop, but you can still see it without one. Use averted vision and look for a 'brightening' of the sky instead of a well-defined edge like the east side of M42 has.

More on seeing the nebula here.

Designation ngc 2264 is assigned to the Chrismas Tree Cluster and the Cone Nebula although they're nearly a Full Moon width's distance apart and are different types of objects. They were both discovered by William Herschel (cluster on 18 Jan 1784; neb on 26 Dec 1785) and he gave them separate catalog numbers.. no idea how they both got the same ngc number.

From what i understand the Cone nebula's faintness makes it primarily an imaging target but i could be wrong. The CT cluster on the other hand, is a visual target.

I always miss the Geminids because it's so cold here (tonight will be -24C with a -35C wind chill). Needless to say i'll be doing my meteor observing through the eyes of others again this year. :)

Damn that is COLD. Never as cold as that here but usually cold enough for the Geminids to make me stay inside and observe through an East facing window.

Now i finally have an SLR camera i think i will brave the cold and venture outside to try and capture a few of them.

Good luck with the pics, Paul. :icon_eek: (Btw, the high today was -15C. :) )

-15?.............you sure you live in Wisconsin and not the northpole?

If there are no clouds, i say to you to observe from indoors (IF possible).

-15C??????????

Never experienced THAT cold. I wouldnt get out of bed for that temp for love nor money.

Archived