NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CG2 RA drive?

I have a CG2 mount (I have no idea what the synta equivilent is... EQ1? not sure)

Does anyone know if the EQ1 Drive will fit it and drive at sidereal rate?

I was thinking of using it for widefield shots with my D70 as an alternative to a barn door thingy. Would probably only get 15 sec exposures due to LP.

post-12885-133877321223_thumb.jpg

Just a photo would be good daz if you wouldn't mind. I cant for the life of me work out how it attaches though to be honest!! I assume the CG2 is identical to the EQ1 but there doesn't seem to be any mounting holes. I'll have to take a closer look as i've not spent much time on it.

I have a CG2 mount (I have no idea what the synta equivilent is... EQ1? not sure)

Does anyone know if the EQ1 Drive will fit it and drive at sidereal rate?

I was thinking of using it for widefield shots with my D70 as an alternative to a barn door thingy. Would probably only get 15 sec exposures due to LP.

Gordon, you can go much longer if you use a filter, 5 minutes with the CLS filter, at least 2 minutes with the Neodymium one.

The M51 with the wonky stars was done in the full glare of a streetlight with the neighbour's halaogen patio lighting to add to the fun. The good bit about filters is that you don't even need dark at ground level (though I'm sure it doesn't hurt) so long as the light is filterable.

Captain Chaos

front of the camera lens, or somewhere in the imaging train 'tween scope and dslr?

Hi Anthony, both...depends what you are doing. Buy a 2" (48mm thread) version of the filter and a step down ring to use with the camera lens. Or just screw into the 2" nosepiece on the camera adapter. Don't be tempted with the much cheaper 1.25" version, unless you want your images to look like they were taken through a porthole! :?

The Baader Neodymium is the best priced one. David Hinds do it for £49, here's a link:

http://www.dhinds.co.uk/pages/fullProd.php?id=303

It's a fantastic filter to start with and doesn't cut off too much light. Also doesn't alter the colour balance.

Russ

Hold on Gordon, you don't want that one. SCS Astro have a much better deal. They are doing the Orion USA jobby with controller, battery pack etc for £45

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/it040052.htm

#7826 EQ-M Electronic Drive Systems - £45.00

These precision 6-volt mini-motors will power any telescope on an Orion Min-EQ, EQ-1, EQ-

2, or AstroView equatorial mounts, providing regulated sidereal-rate tracking of celestial

objects.

All systems include motor, battery pack for four D cells (not included), and pushbutton hand

controller. Handcontroller has 2x and 8x speeds. Suitable for guided astrophotography.

Only £32 for the basic quartz drive.

Russ

front of the camera lens, or somewhere in the imaging train 'tween scope and dslr?

Hi Anthony, both...depends what you are doing. Buy a 2" (48mm thread) version of the filter and a step down ring to use with the camera lens. Or just screw into the 2" nosepiece on the camera adapter. Don't be tempted with the much cheaper 1.25" version, unless you want your images to look like they were taken through a porthole! :?

The Baader Neodymium is the best priced one. David Hinds do it for £49, here's a link:

http://www.dhinds.co.uk/pages/fullProd.php?id=303

It's a fantastic filter to start with and doesn't cut off too much light. Also doesn't alter the colour balance.

Russ

Hi Russ,

Who does the step down ring?

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I'll have to do the google search again. But there's a guy who sells vintage cameras and also sells every type of step down ring. Like me, you'll probably need a 58mm - 48mm to use the LPR filter.

Archived