NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Netbook advice

Dear All,

I notice that PC World and Currys are currently offering a good deal on Samsung NC10 netbook (i.e. £329 after £20 cashback from Samsung). Their portabilitys and good battery life (supposedly up to 7hrs) is really tempting. However, can anyone tell me how they find the small screen of the netbooks for imaging?

What I mean is, does the small screen make it harder to judge focus (compared to a larger 15" screen, for example)? Or have people using them found them just the same as other computers (and really handy for their small size and potability)?

Thanks for any advice,

Nick

The NC10 is a great nippy device. I use an Asus myself but it suffers from a low resolution. You actually want the XP version of the Samsung as it allows 1024x768 which you really need for photoshop/dss etc. Not to put too fine a point on it you MUST get a netbook capable of 1024x768 or youll have alot of annoying problems (like me with my asus, Windows 7 at 1024x600, pain in the ****, cant be bothered to downgrade! great for seeing your subs straight away in bridge though) Hope this helps.

I think you need to consider what these devices are designed for... I have an Asus 901 and it's a fantastic little machine, I love it! I handles all of my guiding needs during an imaging session no probs. And it's fine for capturing avis for planetary work... But never in a million years would I consider trying to edit or process images on it! It's not designed for such high powered applications and you'll struggle.

It's horses for courses. For in the field guiding and capturing my netbook is amazing... But I copy all the data to my desktop for all the post processing.

Very good advice, however, bump up the ram to 2gb and on the new atom 270 and above, cs3 moves along nicely and I still get to surf the net and 5 hrs battery at the same time whilst freezing in the garden! IMHO, only get the samsung or an asus eeepc with an atom 270 or above, they're miles ahead of the competition. Also, the windows7 geahics drivers aren't as flexible as the xp ones, so you may want to take a hdd image and whack xp on, it'll preview better and probably faster. Just my tuppence worth :headbang:

I use the Samsung NC10.

Battery life is at least 5 hours, runs Meade DSI II imager, SPC900NC guider and PHD, HEQ5 mount in PC mode via USB-RS232 converter. All 3 USB ports are V2.0 so fast. Processes and stacks images using Registax and Gimp at acceptable speed.

The screen is OK for general viewing images and focus. The only slight problem is its maximum 1024x600 pixels. Most of my software seems to assume at least 800 pixels vertical so the bottom 20'ish % seems to be missing all the time.

Can be annoying on say Registax because this is where the frame select slider lives. I didn't know it existed until I loaded the software on the office desktop and used it!

The screen is also bright which has pros and cons, handy for walking down the garden for a drink in the dark, kills your night vision though, you can dim it using the function keys. The viewing angle is good, I use it half closed down to illuminate the keys in the dark and can still see the display.

Also, the Wifi range is good so you can post SGL from the end of the garden.

In fact, just read PhoenixRising post about screen resolution, my NC10 has XP Home edition SP3, but maximum resolution is 1024x600, have I missed something?

Plug and play monitor on Mobile Intel 945 Express chipset family, Intel GMA 950 chip type.

I bought an NC10 last month and I find no problem imaging with it and controlling my CPC 925 GPS scope through either Stellarium Scope or Cartes Du Ceil.

I find that I can image process through Registax 5 or PaintShop Pro X with no problem. I haven't tried it, but Deep Sky Stacker may not run well, particulalrly if you are wanting to stack large DSLR 14mp Raw files, but then my desk top with 2gb of RAM and Pentium D dual core processor struggles with that!

By the way, it is possible to work at a resolution of 1024X768 pixels which will allow you to see the whole of registax by scrolling (you can actually scroll the desk top too).

I'm really happy with mine, and the battery life is excellent. I used to take out the mains transformer wth my Athlon powered laptop to image and control the scope but was very wary on those damp evenings, now I have no worries as everything is operating at low voltage.

By the way, just written this post on the little Samsung!

Brinders

I suspect, for focussing, the critical property is the pixel density. And then it's about screen size, and how far you want to sit from it. Screen readability varies quite a lot and is perhaps not THAT easy to predict from physical dimensions and resolution. I believe Laptops have higher pixel density and are designed to view at closer range? :D

I think my NC10 would be more than adequate for focussing. With a resolution of 1024x600 it might be a tad frustrating to use with my 1/3" CMOS webcam, which given resolution of 1280x1024 won't fit (at least at full size) on the screen. A problem yet to confront. :D

It's a great machine, with MATTE screen and LONG battery life. I bought it for those attributes. I don't envisage doing any reall "off-line" processing on it. Heheh. I'm also using a NC10 to write this! :headbang:

All,

Thanks for adding to this thread. Much appreciated. I should add that the price in PC World is currently £239 (with £20 cashback from Samsung) and not £329 as I erroneusly stated. This has XP installed. My overall sense from what people have said is that it is fine for focussing (and recording) web-cam images etc but for processing, it's back to the 'brute' inside!

Cheers,

Nick

Sweet :headbang: Glad people are aware of the old resolution problem. Beware Windows 7 on these devices, yes its faster, but no 1024x768 support....yet...

Do upgrade the ram to 2gb, you will notice the difference. Also, consider the Asus eeePC 1005 and above series, slightly better build quality.

Glad you found the scrolling fuction Glider, I dont know why they couldnt include this for the Windows 7 drivers, alot of people complaining about it (inc me) Surely 1024x768 has been minimum res now for years, oh well.

Yes, I am typing this on my Netbook!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived