Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

batteries for mount motors

Can someone tell me a bit about the mount motors for the skywatcher EQ mounts please. I understand they take 4 of those squared "D" type batteries. Are they power hungry? How long will the batteries last, roughly? I am wondering whether rechargeable will be more efficient despite the big price difference.

Many thanks.

Can someone tell me a bit about the mount motors for the skywatcher EQ mounts please. I understand they take 4 of those squared "D" type batteries. Are they power hungry? How long will the batteries last, roughly? I am wondering whether rechargeable will be more efficient despite the big price difference.

Many thanks.

I have the Skywatcher dual axis motor drives for the EQ5. They take 4 round DR20 batteries. As my mount is not a goto I don't do a great deal of slewing around, mainly just tracking. It's hard to be precise but I reckon I get at least 20-30 hours out of them. I've had the mount for a few months and only had to change the batteries once. Plus I'm only using Panasonic batteries that I get from the local poundland at £1 a pair! You might get longer from decent batteries.

Don't forget that NiCd or NiMH rechargeables only have a nominal cell voltage or 1.2V, so your standard 8-cell holder (designed for 8 x 1.5V) will only give you about 10V. Mount electronics tends to misbehave with low supply voltage. 12V sealed lead acids are better IMO.

Archived