Zoom EP or not?

Goood Evening to you all

Im just about to buy Celestron 8-24mm zooming EP. Is there a reason why i shoudnt do it? Will the quality be degraded (comparing to normal EP) . ATM im using standart EPs supplied with scope (Heritage 130p) .

Im very gratefull for any comments.

Thanks a lot

CS

I'm personally not a fan of zoom eyepieces, I used to have use of a Baader zoom, but some people love them, I find they have narrow FOV's and do suffer in quality when compared to a single focal length eyepiece.

I currently have a Baader Hyperion, which is at the top end of the zoom market and has a relatively wide field of view. I can't really fault it optically and it's great for solar viewing, but for any night time stuff I'd still go for a normal eyepiece: I just find the limited field of view to be too great a compromise.

I rather assumed that there would be a cost to using a zoom but wondered if it might be handy to find a decent level of MAG to get a reasonable view before swapping to standard EP with or without barlow, but then experienced folks probably have a reasonable idea of what to use anyway.

And for a newbie (like me) one can sometimes resort to the GOTO controller to get a hint on what EP to use - well Meade AutoStar has the feature - though I haven't used it so far. My technique is just to start out with the 26 and progress from there though the swapping around etc can be a bit of a pain - im sure I willl get used to it eventually and I already have picked up one or two hints as I have scooted around the sky.

I have the Celestron zoom, and it probably gets used the most and I like it,,but then again I don't have a good selection of eye pieces to choose from, Steph (my wife, dobserver) won't let me near hers lol....

It's also useful if doing astro photography, I use mine par focal to my camera as a focusing aid.

I have a Seben Zoom and compared to my old Baader Hyperion 8mm it performs quite well for a cheap zoom eyepiece.

The Baader Hyperion has now been sold because the price/performance ratio of the Baader did not blow my socks off.

Paul

Cheers guys for plenty of responses. I think i will rather invest into some nice ultra wide 30 or 40mm Ep. Personally i have no problem with swapping EPs if that means at least a bit better quality. i got very cheap telescope so i dont wanna degrade it even more :D .So yeah as i said im going for ultrawide 30-40 .If you got some spare send me pm and maybe i will buy it. cheers folks

Clear Skies to you All

ps: i will definitely buy zooms as well, but a bit later :headbang:

Archived