NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nexstar GT, ED80, LXD75, M603 and Revelation 8 setup

Well this is my various setups at the moment. Consist of three scopes and two mounts. Can't see me being allowed to keep this lot mind.

The GT isn't really ideally suited to the ED80 but it's okay for it's intended purpose which is just showing my kids the sky or taking on holiday.

The LXD75 and ED80 are perfectly matched though. With spare capacity for a Skywatcher Startravel 120 as a guidescope. Which is number one plan for the winter. Will need to chat with Gaz (ST120) and Arthur (side by side mounting) about that. And also a trip to the Astronomiser website for the guiding bits.

Haven't yet tried the LXD75 and Revelation 8 together. Not entirely confident the two will go well together. I think the 8 will overwhelme the LXD75. Only plan to do visual deepsky and planetary imaging with it, so not too stressful for it. I'll find out tonight i suppose.

The Intes M603 sits very nicely on a mount in the LXD75 class. Not too taxing at all.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Russ

post-12650-133877321099_thumb.jpg

The Baader Dovetail came with the adapter, not sure if you can buy it on it's own? Perhaps Adam may know! Certainly TS would do it. The Baader engineering is top notch btw. Really pleased with that adapter.

I which one I'd def. keep mate!

yeah i know, that Tasco looks the business 8)

Russ

oh boy that was a match made in hell. LXD75 + Revelation 8 = wibbly wobbly way

How on earth do Meade sell the 10" SN on this mount......who are Meade trying to kid, there's no way the LXD can handle more than the 8" SN. It can't candle the 8" Revelation, not even close. oh poo!

I did manage Jupiter and M13. To answer your question Gordon......Crikey was the Revelation good :D Just need a mount to use it properly.

The LXD75 and the ED80 are a match made in heaven though.....they work like a charm together. :D :D

Russ

Do you find the GT mount too unstable for the 80ED? It IS a big 80mm though. Perhaps a WO would be better suited... Or any 80mm APO really as i think the synta one is the biggest. I can't wait for the 60ED to use the same tube hehe

How do you find the revelation dob base Russ? I was thinking of the 10" revelation to replace the 8" f/8 i have at the moment (if i can sell it!)

Hi Gordon,

As it turns out, the ED80 on the GT is okay. It does wobble is you really rap the tube. But in normal use, such as focusing on Jupiter last night, it holds the ED80 quite steady. You're right though, the WO or Ric's Moonfish would be better suited. Or get the 114 version of the GT mount, that would hold the ED80 rock steady.

As for the Revelation, I bought it as a tube and accessories only....no dob base. But after last night I will have to either buy the Revelation dob base or make one. I'm tempted to sell the LXD and have a non-goto EQ6 for the moment.

Judging by the 8" f6 Revelation, I would say you would be incredibly happy with a 10" f5 Revelation.

Russ

I thought about the non-goto EQ6 but i can't seem to sell my CG5 unless i drop the price to something silly. Instead i think im going to go for the 102SLT and mount a little APO on it for quick peeks and grab and go then get the 10" revelation dob. Im sure i'll change my mind soon enough but at the moment that seems a good setup and should last me till winter when the dark (and DSO's) come back. At the moment the ED100 has done me proud on planets through summer but now that jupiter is so low and i've not seen saturn for an age the 10" dob seems the best bet. At least till i have it, then something else will come along!

Archived