Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nothing but eyes and a child's smile

vegas

I just wanted to follow up from my post in the astro lounge regarding dark skies. Someone posted an excellent link with sky quality and I noticed that where I live near Peterborough there are some good skies just down the road.

So last night I persuaded my 12 year old to pop out with me in search of these skies, she grumbled at first but then agreed, she has shown an interest in astronomy and has ooed and ahhed at all the things I've shown her in the scope.

So we set off into the fens in the car, our first stop was about 5 min outside my village, we found a little layby and got out. The quality of skies was already far superior to those at home. My daughter was suitably impressed. I pointed out the obvious constellations and we stood there for 15min taking it in.

After this we trekked further into the wilderness. Another stop soon and this time we were greeted with the first signs of the milky way. She was full of awe and pointed out with her hand the faint ghostly line of the star field. I pointed out casseopiea and highlighted to her how it was not so distinct now because of the amount of stars, she was still cooing at the view.

We had one more stop, a little side lane leading into a field, absolutely full of mud!!!

But despite the hippo style landscape we were rewarded with a the best skies I've ever seen in the uk, and only 20min from home!!! I think ill have to befriend the farmer.

The milkyway was much much more defined. My daughter jus stood there gobsmacked and literally rooted to the spot with her eyes glued to the sky. You could see m31 as a small smudge and the band of the milkyway nearly run horizon to horizon.

My daughter pointed out the faraway light pollution of Peterborough and said it was awful, maybe we have a bastion for campaigning for a band on light pollution for the future!

By this time we'd both sank into the mud, so reluctantly we returned home for hot apple pie!

She was raving the whole journey home and thinks we should return with scope and bins in hand. It was truly a great experience to see such an eager mind and totally took me back to when my dad taught me about the constellations as a child.

Though I'm sure my mum didn't give my dad as hard a time about muddy shoes as my wife gave me when we got home!!!!

Thanks for the nice words guys!

I'm not sure that she's quite got the bug yet, as she likes being warm far too much. Plus she has a never ending list of makeup and 'accessories' she wants for her crimbo (god bless teenagers).

Still I enjoyed teaching her the science as you can just see her mind trying to process it, but not really being able.

I said about M31... "Do you realise the light has taken 2.5million years to reach our eyes?"

She answered.... "why?"

At this I promptly gave a short explanation about light traveling, then realised I was approaching hot water, as my knowledge does not extend much past the 'general' knowledge of space and time and didn't want to enter a territory that invited too many probing questions and make her realise I dont have a scooby doo's idea about what I'm talking about.

So I used diversionary tactics at this point and asked her about the new Twilight movie (as she is in love with Edward Cullen!).

A narrow escape.....

But still, I think she enjoyed the little bit of father/daughter time and hope that she'll join me again on a trek into the wilderness with the scope.

It must be so rewarding to share something like that with your child. And isn't it a shame that more people don't get chance to see such views without heading out into the wilds. I remember being at university on the Welsh coast, we used to walk inland late at night and you really couldn't see your hand in front of your face. Stunning stars too.

Archived