Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade Lightbridge Observing report as of 15.11.2009

Doc

Meade Lightbridge 16" F4.5 FL1829mm

No moon

Windy

Visual magnitude 4.2

First object tonight was IC 2149 a very small and not often observed planetary nebula. This little nebula is 0.2'x0.1' in size and lies about 1° north of beta Auriga. With the 28 Uwan inserted I could not make out the planetary at all, it just looked like any of the other stars, I then inserted the 16 Uwan and once again all points of light looked stellar in origin. I then tried the 7 Uwan at x261 and I could just detect a very small and what appeared circular in shape disk. I blinked the Baader O111 filter in front of the eyepiece and

the object appeared to brighten a little. No colour was detected but the shape of the planetary was visible. No central star was seen either.

Next object is IC 3568 which lies in the constellation Camelopardalis at a distance of about 9,000 light-years, and has a diameter of about 0.4 light-years, or about 800 times the diameter of our solar system. This object was larger then IC 2149 at 0.3' in diameter but was much harder to see. Once again the lower magnification eyepieces were no good as the object looked stellar through them. Through the 7 Uwan at x261 I could just about detect a very small star like object which appeared to have a halo around it. Very small with no colour or detail detected, not even sure if this was IC3568 but from descriptions I've read seems very likely.

Staying in Camelopardalis I looked at the Asterism Ngc2408, a very pretty formation of 20 stars that to my eyes form a mini Auriga or a rocket ship shape.

Over to Draco next and started looking for Ngc 6543 also known as the Cat's Eye Nebula. At 0.4' x 0.3' it is very small but easily found. Even in the 28 Uwan at x65 I could make out the planetary as a non stellar green disk. The 16 Uwan at x114 bought our a little detail such as slight mottling texture to the circular disk. The view through the 7 Uwan seemed to break down a bit I think this was due to some high unseen cloud drifting across. I waited a while then tried the 16 Uwan with the O111 filter attached and the shape was clearly seen, but no more details such as central star was visible.

I've always found The Palomar globular clusters fascinating subjects most are visible only in larger amateur instruments and many are not visible at all. As these clusters go, Palomar 2 is a showpiece. Yet even in the largest of amateur instruments it appears as little more than a round, very diffuse hazy spot. Palomar 2 is unique in several ways. How many other globular clusters do you know of in Auriga? That's right -- there aren't any others! Palomar 2 is an "outer halo" globular which lies much father from the center of our galaxy than most. Most globulars lie within 20,000 light years of the galactic center, but Palomar 2 lies over 100,000 light years distant. Although not the most distant known, Palomar 2 lies at a galactic longitude of 170°, nearly in the opposite direction of the galactic center as seen from our vantage point. Because most globulars lie much closer in, they tend to be found in constellations such a Sagittarius and Ophiuchus. When we look toward Auriga we are looking in the opposite direction of the galactic center where few globulars are found. I spent one hour searching for this little globular cluster and I can tell you it's an hard one to see. According to CduC it's just 1.9' in diameter and has a magnitude of 13. The 28 and 16 Uwans were useless so armed with the 7mm Uwan at x261 I tried to find this cluster, I know I was in the correct vicinity but it eluded me, maybe mag 13 is just a little to much for my scope and I will have to wait for a darker skies.

So that was my observing session finished, didn't see too much and wasted a good one hour trying to find Pal2 but then thats why I love this hobby.

Good report as always Mick - you do find some interesting objects. I studied the Cat's Eye Nebula on Sunday night with the 6" frac and like you could not see the central star.

Regards

Mark

I would have thought I might have seen the central star with 16" but No. I wonder how bright it is, off to google.

Update apparently it's a binary star of mag 10 so should be possible.

Very interesting report. You certainly make the most of the light bucket by tracking down more unusual objects. I get most enjoyment from spending a while finding new things that are sometimes right on the limit of what the scope is capable of. They're never much to look at like M13 or M42 but it's the satisfaction in finding them and knowing what they are.

Archived