Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice needed

About a month now I try to decide witch larger telescope to buy for darkest deep sky objects because my ED80 have not enough light gathering power and I also want to see more details on faint nebula's and galaxies. For now I don't want to spend to much but I manage to find two telescopes which I can afford.

Refractor link: http://www.telescope-service.com/refractors/start/refractorsstart.html#r152mm

I like this one with shorter focal length - 990 mm.

Reflector link: http://www.telescope-service.com/newtonians/start/newtoniansstart.html#2001000

On the one side I prefer refractor because it doesn't need collimation and I don't need to wait for cool down. On the other hand reflector had 200 mm and more light gathering power then 152 mm refractor. But refractor have a better light transmission then reflector so I think that Will be not much a difference between this two scopes.

I appreciate any help that I can get and any advice that you can give me.

CS Saso

Hi Saso,

I am having trouble making your links work but I think you are comparing a 6" long focal-lengh (slow) refractor with an 8" short focal-lengh (fast) reflector.

The fast reflector is better suited to deep sky observing.

Both will show much more than your ED80.

I'm a little afraid because of fast focal ratio f5 on reflector that I need better eyepieces then I already have. I never look trough scope like that so...?

Steve, I compare this two scopes 6" focal length 990 mm f6.5 refractor (on TS site they state f8 ?) and 8" focal length 1000 mm f5 reflector.

With refractor on EQ mount is awkward to look in zenith, I think is easier with reflector?

Thank you both for answer.

Saso

I'm a little afraid because of fast focal ratio f5 on reflector that I need better eyepieces then I already have.

This is more of a concern when buying wide-field eyepieces.

Good Plossls, orthos, kellners and the like will be fine.

In short – don’t worry about it :)

Will the reflector be a Dobsonian?

I have Heq5-pro mount. I think that maximum load for this mount is about 15 kg. If I load 10" reflector on this mount weight 15 kg plus tube rings + 2" eyepiece + finderscope and probably Telrad then I get over 15 kg. Anyone have experience with that much load on this mount?

Saso

I tried my 12" reflector on mine. The loading was OK if the balancing was good. I didn't like to try moving it fast with the goto, but just tracking was OK. I was worried that too much load would break the gears so I didn't try the goto.

The 12" weighs about 15kg altogether but is long, not like a SCT where the weight would be close to the mount.

HTH

Captain Chaos

I have Heq5-pro mount. I think that maximum load for this mount is about 15 kg. If I load 10" reflector on this mount weight 15 kg plus tube rings + 2" eyepiece + finderscope and probably Telrad then I get over 15 kg. Anyone have experience with that much load on this mount?

Saso

I have a HEQ5 and I used to own a 10" Newt, I never had the two together but I think the HEQ5 could take the Newt but I think it would be dodgy (to say the least!)

I finally decide what to buy

GSO Dobsonian 200/1200 - 2" Crayford focuser - BK-7 primary mirror

laser collimator with side view

Tube rings for this telescope - for mounting it on equatorial mount

Standard dovetail plate PS21 - anodized aluminium - Length 21 cm

Extra base for Telrad

4,5 counterweight for H-EQ5 and EQ-6 - second hand

I want to try Dobson base so I ordered this telescope. It is also a very good price and also a lot of accessories is in price. Because I have HEQ5 Pro mount I also want to use this telescope with mount. I probably receive this stuff in Wednesday so :D are coming in my country - not yours. :D

Saso

Archived