Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging DSOs, need some advice on equipment

cubes

Hi. I've started on the long road to getting decent astroimages :)

Currently I'm using a Skywatcher Explorer 200p on an EQ5 goto mount and imaging using my Nikon D300. Although I may take the IR filter out of my D40X and use that instead since I don't use it for normal photography anymore.

Not done too badly with planetary objects (imo for a complete novice :rolleyes: ) but I'm looking for advice on imaging DSOs.

As I understand it, it's best (or pretty much required) to use some sort of autoguiding? From what I've read the EQ5 would struggle to have a guidescope on it as well, is that correct? If it can cope, would this be the way to go?

I suspect that a CCD would ultimately be better but more cost in short term but could it be used for long exposure to take DSOs and guide at the same time?

Sorry there are so many questions :eek: and thanks for any answers.

hi

you should look for a better mount if you want to image DSO, a heq5 pro, or even better a eq6 pro would be good.

i think the ccd`s that have both imaging, and guide chips are expensive beasts.

i have gone for a lvi standalone guidecam, so i dont need a pc to image with my dslr.

i use a side-by-side setup.

the ccd imaging have a steep learningcurbe, but it is doable, i have bought a ccd camera to, but not used it yet, as im trying to learn how to use my dsle first.

alfi

What you have may not be ideal, but I'd expect you'd be able to get some fairly good results with it, with practice, patience and persistence. Push what you have as far as you can... I started imaging with a short tube achromat on a SLT AltAz mount, and as long as you accept your equipment has limits, find them and work within them, you'll be ok. Look to get the HEQ5 or probably better the EQ6 once the limits on your current kit are preventing you going further.

You are certainly going to make things difficult for yourself continuing with the EQ5 and without doubt, a mount upgrade to a heavier duty one makes sense but if you can sling you guide telescope UNDERNEATH (think upside down piggy-back :rolleyes: ) your imaging 'scope then you will help with the load as the additional weight will be towards the centre of the mount.

I do a lot of imaging with my SW 200P and have to say that it ain't a bad imaging 'scope.

Hello Cubes and welcome to the Forum. Your EQ5 should be alright for autoguiding but EQ6 is a more capable mount. The EQ5 can hold 15kg and what you need is a side by side saddle and a small 80mm refractor which can be a cheap one for guiding. Refractor fl about half the imaging fl is perfect and a cheap guidecam - QHY5 are the cheapest or a webcam will do but it should be a mono for crisp/fainter guidestar acquisition. Polar align is crucial for DSO imaging.

EQ5/6 users use EQmod to give finer control of scope for pointing and guiding. The The sensitive Watec CCD's are excellent as they show images after 10sec exposure which will not require much guiding accuracy - Watecs make good guidecams too and Watecs can be used for lunar imaging.

You can also buy DSLR lenses and take widefield shots and telephoto shots PiggyBacking your scope setup.

I converted my Nikon D50 and Nikons are much easier to modify than Canons so that would be a great start.

JohnH.

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can do with what I have for the time being, maybe I'll take the D40X to pieces (as I want to use the D300 for normal photos) to remove the IR filter from it.

I realise I have a lot of practice to get in before I really need to get some new stuff but I certainly have some idea at what I should be looking for! The heavier mount was certainly something that came to mind and the EQ6 does look to be the business. I'll have to start saving some pennies as this is going to get expensive in the long term :rolleyes:

Thinking about it some more, I'll look into getting a side-by-side saddle and a small refractor and see how the EQ5 copes for now. If it struggles I'll have to look into the EQ6 (from what I read on the forums I'll end up with one sooner or later anyway).

Until I do I'll try planetary and short-exposure imaging to get my hand it as well as practice polar, drift alignment etc.

Search this forum for guiding on a budget using a 9x50 finder scope and webcam!

Link here to mine and beamish finderguiders

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/84726-diy-finder-guider.html

I am taking 5 and 8 min subs right now using my finderguider on my 200mm F/4 Newt and when the wind is being reasonable the stars are coming out nice and round, due to a problem with my Atlux I am using my lightweight sphinx mount on an Aluminium tripod.

Archived