NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher ED60s on the way....

I kike the idea of this ed60 type chap. As long as they have nice honest optics and reasonable build. Imagine imaging with a nice wide field. Depending on FL you'd get a lot of M31 onto an Mx7 ccd chip, (maybe all with a focal reducer). Tracking is less of an issue. Also on nights of poor seeing you can still get decent images.

I'm keen to see what they are like. Where'd you get your info from Gaz? I have tried a search but come up with nowt.

Anthony

The adverts for the new Sky-watcher Equinox 60ED and 80ED are already out stateside in various publications. This is Synta bringing the mechanical/cosmetic finish of their ED scopes inline with other brands (William Optics in particular). The 60ED will be in direct competition with the WO 66's.

Hopefully pricing will be aggressive. I wonder if the current Pro series ED's will get the chop or will their price fall further. The new EQuinox series cannot come in too high as the William Optics Zenithstar 80ED II sells for £470. Synta will have to beat that price if nothing else.

Russ

your right Gaz. The Celestron C80-ED, has the same outside tube diameter as the WO Zenithstar. But they are real pricey compared to the Skywatcher. Their price in fact is identical to the WO Zenithstar 80 ED II. And it still uses the good ol rack'n'pinion focuser.

I think £250 sounds about right for the ED60. It should be a full apo(ish) like the ED80. So that will put its colour correction on a par with the better of the WO 66's and clearly ahead of the Petzval version.

btw Ian King now has prices up for the Megrez 90 ED Apo.........£859. Which looks pricey at first but when you consider the cost of the Tak Sky 90, it's not so bad.

More interesting though is this new 80mm refractor he has on there....Scopos 80! Looks like the Meade Series 5000 Apo 80, with the same spec 80mm triplet ED lens but with some very funky added extras. Such as the tube breaks in two which allows the use of a binoviewer. Price £559. Anyhow, here's a link and a pic:

http://www.iankingimaging.com/show_products.php?category=77

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Russ

Archived