Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sketching techniques

robneath

Currently deciding how I'm going to tackle sketches - a quick question what diameter circles to contain the sketch do people use? I've seen mention of 90mm, but i'm more inclined to 80mm, will that be too restrictive? I'm going to be sketching DSOs

I usually go with 90mm, some go for more...To be honest, it's really up to you. However, be aware that of your circle is too small at may be difficult to show that close stars in an open cluster say. As your pencil points might touch (whereas in your ep the stars may be separate).

Hi Rob, 3" seems to work best for me. I use a small clipboard at the eyepiece, with a piece of computer paper cut to 5"x7". A 2" circle was simply too small to work in, especially with rich, complex open clusters.

My red light wouldn't completely cover a 4" circle, and i need to see the entire circle all at once.. it makes placement and proportion easier and more accurate. The 3" circle is perfect. :rolleyes:

hi Carol

thanks for your input too! Seems my original idea of 80mm (3") would be viable as well. I'll have to experiment and see what works best. I'm intending to work white on black, so just need to decide what media now - thats proving to be a bit of fun and games :laugh

Archived