NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter!

Paul G. Abel

Greetings everyone!

Well I hope you've all had beeter observing weather than me!!! On those few nights it has been clear; thick low cloud has soon rushed in putting a dash on all hopes of Lunar and Mars work!

Here's a drawing I made of Jupiter last night. Even though the altitude is low, seeing was AII-III. It is clear that the SEB has faded (and the colour seems to be fading with it). There is much activity in the STZ and SSTZ. The red colour of the NEB was rather striking too. Alas, conditions did not hold and the clouds returned once more. Still...

Jupiter-081109-D-Abel.jpg

Good sketch, as always, Paul and shows some fine detail too.. Do you find that the GRS is less prominent now that the SEB is fading? The hollow always helped in revealing the 'elusive' Great Pinky Salmon Spot (GRS) when it is faint.

P.S

How come when I click on your drawing it does not expand. I am missing out on the finer detail mate.

Regards from Dave.

Hi Dave,

I haven't seen the GRS for a few months now; the weather has been that bad! The reason you don't a large image when you click on it is because this is a fairly low-res image- it doesn't show as much detail as I can normally see so i didn't bother with a higher resolution one!

Thanks for the comments!!!!

-Paul.

Sally can be found on the solar and sketching forums on Cloudy Nights. She's a FRAS, and a superb public speaker, and her lunar sketching work has to be seen to be believed..

Again though Paul, outstanding work on Jupiter..

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comments!!!!

-Paul.

Sorry Paul, I refer to the GRS as the 'elusive' Great Pinky Salmon Spot (GRS) only because I have never seen it as red. I begun my astronomy after the 1970's, when it was truley red, and have only ever detected a faint hint of salmony pink in the hollow of the SEB.

(I should add that I had two glasses of brandy earlier and things seemed to make sense in my head). Time to go to bed. :icon_eek:

Archived