THoughts on my new upgrade

Rob

I've just bought a new tripod upgrade (as mentioned in another post by gaz :)) for my EQ3-2 mount. So I now have an EQ3-2 on a HEQ5 tripod, boy is it now ultra steady or what!! :)

Any thoughts on what size refractor I could now pop on there?. I did not buy it for this reason, but wanted to do away with the shakey aluminium legs!!

I'm thinking a 120mm should be ok, not sure on a 150?.

Rob

I've just bought a new tripod upgrade (as mentioned in another post by gaz :)) for my EQ3-2 mount. So I now have an EQ3-2 on a HEQ5 tripod, boy is it now ultra steady or what!! :)

Any thoughts on what size refractor I could now pop on there?. I did not buy it for this reason, but wanted to do away with the shakey aluminium legs!!

I'm thinking a 120mm should be ok, not sure on a 150?.

Rob

hi Rob,

The new tripod makes you realize that the EQ3/2 and EQ5 arn't bad mounts really, they are just hamstrung by that nasty ally tripod!

It's bad timing, I've just sold my EQ3/2 yesterday. If I'd have known I could have tried my 127mm refractor on it with the new legs and let you know what I thought!

The 120mm f8 should be OK, and I think you'd get away with the 150mm f5/f6. I doubt a 150mm f8 would be too stable though, those things are long AND heavy!!

I may well be wrong though and I am a bit of a "vibration [removed word]", I like my scopes overmounted (I bought the EQ5 and steel tripod to mount my 127mm Mak!)!!

Regards

gaz

Rob,

We could give my 8" newt a try on your EQ3. Weight wise and length wise it's certainly comparable to the 120 f8.3, Gaz's 127 f8 or the 150 f5. Which scope are you looking to replace? I thought you would be wanting a widefield light bucket to compliment the Mak? Or is it the Mak that's getting the chop?

Russ

Archived