Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First jupiter of 2009 and first planetary with QHY5

beamer3.6m

As the title suggests this is my first image of Jupiter for 2009 and also my first use of the QHY5 camera for anything other than a guidecam.

I am quite impressed with the QHY5 although I do like colour images so I will try to use the SPC900 next time - although I think it may have broken.

Anyway, this was a very short stack of only 45 out of a total of 88 as I was limited by the cloud - which at some points completely blocked out Jupiter - and also the wind which was blowing the scope all over the place.

My alignment was not that great but it was my first outing for the Explorer 200 for about 2-3 months.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Beamer

post-13957-133877408559_thumb.png

I thought so,. To get the other moons you need to over expose Jupiter, then make a composite of that and the one you already have, at least that's how I've done it.

So what are your honest opinions of the QHY5? This is probably the route I will go with guiding, what guide scope have you used?

I think the QHY5 is great for guiding. I have no problems locating guide stars and it works very well with HEQ5 mount and I have easily managed subs of 10 minutes.

I use a Celestron ED80 as a guidescope which I mount side by side with my Explorer 200 and even though the Explorer is F5 I find guiding easy with this set up.

As for an imaging camera I think it has potential but this was my first attempt so i will have to reserve judgment.

Archived