Scope storage when not in use

Being a noob, can I ask is it ok to store the scope in a unheated garage when not in use? I'm thinking that tube corrosion could be a long term problem but what about the mirror and optics?

Advantages are that it is easier to move outside so knocks and scrapes reduced, less or no cooling down time, and being at ambient temperature, less susceptible to condensation.

Scope is only a Skywatcher 130 but it's all I have!

Any views from the guys that have been there and done that?

This is what I use - I call it the "Conti-Board Coffin". Dead easy to make. The important bit is to seal around the door with sticky backed foam draught excluder. This is to prevent the ingress of dust and grit from the garage / car. If you want details then PM me and I will oblige.

post-17157-1338774084_thumb.jpg

I think a lot of people store their scopes in the garage -seems to be a good solution, especially for the cooling issue.

We don't have the luxury of a garage, so hubby's scope lives outside all year round, with a waterproof cover over it. It is fine - it has been like this for 2 years now with no ill effects.

Mine lives in the lounge, right in front of the cupboard door, so I have to shift it every time I want to get something out, which is a pain! I tried keeping mine outside, but as it's a Dob the base bot some damp in it - hence it's pride of place in the house.

Steph

I keep mine in cases in garage; good for cool down.

Get some big sachets of dessicant silica gel, will help prevent rusting

Cheers

Danny

Yes, Silica Gel will help absorb any extra moisture that would potentially cause any rusting. Plus this stuff you can reuse over and over again, so a pretty cheap investment. Something like this should do:

Dry-Packs Dehumidifier - SilicaGelPackets.com

Archived