NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Observing Herschel objects last night despite the Moon

Mark at Beaufort

Well it went clear, the first good clear night in ages. Despite the Moon, which washed out most DSOs, I decided that I should start on my Herschel 400 list.

I used my Astro Tech 4" APO refractor with Televue Ethos 13mm and 8mm EPs. The scope was mounted on a SkyTee dual alt/az mount. I used a 9x50 right angle correct image star finder for star hopping and checking star fields.

It seem that the best objects to view would be star clusters especially those in Cassiopeia.

I started with the Delta Cass and viewed M103, NGC 659, 663 and 654. Moved over to Epsilon Cass and saw NGC637. Finally over to Gamma Cass to view NGC 381 and 225.

OK it was not the best night and not the best image of these clusters, but I got outside and double the number of Herschel objects from the 400 list.

The Ethos EPs were brilliant on this APO refractor so I ended with the double cluster in Perseus.

Mark

Good luck with the project, Mark - and a good idea to go for clusters. I don't even take the scope out if the Moon's up so I miss lots of clear nights - maybe I should make better use of them.

Herschel also made a double-star list - that'd be good for moonlit nights too.

Andrew

Well done Mark.

I have ticked off all but one of the 14 open clusters in Cass of the Herschel 400, only one I'm missing is Ngc 136.

Some of these are very pretty indeed.

Best of luck with the rest.

Archived