NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can i use QHY5 for Lunar/Planetary images

An interesting question John, there have been a few good Lunar images posted on here from the QHY5.

A cracking image Kevin, how did you capture and process ? - QGVideo & Registax ?

Brendan

I guess you mean me?

I use QGVideo and then registax to process. I'm still learning how to get this combination optimised. Steve is right QG is quite clunky and still haven't got the frame rate set up properly. Here's one from last night throught the high cloud, I think it shows the QHY5 is a pretty reasonable camera for lunar images:

post-14099-133877407439_thumb.jpg

Great images guys but has anyone managed to get the QHY5 working with any other software which would allow more control than QG. It would be nice to have some control of frame rates, nevertheless the quality of the images are fantastic.

Brendan

I haven't managed to get any other s/w to work with it, though I guess it won't be too long before K3 will come on board.

QG is clunky but I'd suggest simply playing with it in daylight. I recently achieved 40fps (useless resolution size mind you) but with "Enhanced Noise Reduction " off, for planatery use you can get 25-30fps ( around 520x500). try binning the larger formats.

Unfortunately, at full res, 1280x1084, I can't really get passed 10fps, bit of a shame to say the least, as this would have made it a superb Luna imager.

Take a looksie at this thread too,

QHY new Professional plantary CCD

also QHY5T 3.0mega pxiel CMOS camera released as this is billed as his latest luna/solar imager.

the cams in the first thread use the same chips as the Imaging Source 21 & 31 respectively BUT ARE COOLED !!!

Archived