NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Whats best for first time viewing with 10x50's

Teddy

Hi All

I took delivery of some lovely opticron 10x50 imagic binos last thursday and since then i have had 95% cloud cover ever since. (typical).

as i have not been out and i am just waiting for the clouds to p155 off then i thought i would ask a couple of questions to get some kind of fix

So... can anyone suggest a few sights to look for when i do get out. I would love a few quick WOWs ( i will be prepared to search for the WOW's that are harder to find).

Also any tips on focus/use of binos would be great.

And last .... jupitor. What will i see through the binos. will i see the lines across it and the moons......

Any repsonce would be cool. These clouds are testing my patience ;)

Cheers

Teddy

Cassiopeia (the one shaped like a W) and Perseus (the constellation below/next to it) are great areas for bino sweeping. The big bright loose cluster referred to above might be the Alpha Persei association - to my mind, one of the finest sights you can have with 10x50s.

The Pleiades are lovely, and if you look below Orion's belt you may see the Orion nebula, if your sky is dark enough.

It's possible to see banding on Jupiter with 50mm aperture (I've done it with less) but not, I should think, with 10x magnification. But the moons are fascinating.

My father claimed to see Jupiter's moons with the naked eye (they're theoretically bright enough) - the trick is to hide the planet behind a roof or other obstruction. I never managed it as a boy and certainly wouldn't now. But it's always worth giving it a go.

A tip - use a lounger if you can, or lie on a rug on the ground. And wrap up well!

M31 is a nice to see, but it'll look like a greyish/green blob... but it's nice to find... Follow the right hand V of Cassie down, as it's pointing... There's a pair of slightly brighter stars, it's at the top of those...

Kembles cascade... a very odd looking formation, but fits superbly in Binos. Start at Cassie, Follow the top of the W, to the left of the W. About the distance of the width of the W... It's a chain of about 20 stars in a straight line, ending in a cluster NGC1502 (not so easy to see though)

I also agree on Alpha Perseii (Mirfak) association (I think it's Mellotte 20). Although I only spotted a couple of weeks ago, all of it... There's a sort of cup around Mirfak (come down from the W, it's the brightest star just to the right of the mainline of Perseus), put that to the top of the FOV and you'll get the rest of it in too.

When you look for M38 (it's pretty small) in Auriga... to it's right is the smiley face asterism (actually easier to find Mr Smiler, then locate M38 ;))... the kids like that one...

Hey that is first class info. thanks for such a quick responce. (anyone else's ideas still welcome as i am going to print these out and use as a little starter)

What does M (as in M33) and NGC (as in NGC1502) mean. i have read these before but would love a bit of an explanation.

Knicklander .... i know u wear glass's and i have spoke to u before about this but....

i have played with the binos and i just can not get them comfy. i have twisted out the eye (bits , sorry lost for a word lol) and they dont seem to help much. If i dont wear my glass's i guess my view will not be as clear as my eyes are not great. (is this correct). any help or tell me to keep trying!!

Acey i have the lounger set up , thanks matey.

As i had no instructions with my binos (and i am not bright lol) can u tell me ...

The adjustment on the top and the adjustment on the right side of the bino,s.....please confirm what these are please.

soz to ask so much , just want to get my knowledge up asap and i am the asking type of guy.

Teddy

NGC write up below:-

The New General Catalogue (NGC) is a well-known catalogue of deep sky objects in astronomy. It contains 7,840 objects, known as the NGC objects. The NGC is one of the largest comprehensive catalogues, as it includes all types of deep space objects and is not confined to, for example, galaxies.

The catalogue was compiled in the 1880s by J. L. E. Dreyer using observations mostly from William Herschel and his son John, for total of 7,840 objects. Dreyer had already published an update to the Herschel's Catalogue of Nebulae, but a new update was turned down by the Royal Astronomical Society, who asked Dreyer to compile a New General Catalogue.

Messier

Charles Messier (June 26, 1730 – April 12, 1817) was a French astronomer most notable for publishing an astronomical catalogue consisting of deep sky objects such as nebulae and star clusters that came to be known as the 103 "Messier objects". The purpose of the catalogue was to help comet hunters, as he was, and to help other astronomical observers to distinguish between permanent and transient objects in the sky

I couldn´t be bothered to write it out myself so copied it from somewhere else. I love the history behind the Messier objects I think it is very interesting.

Neil C

Cheers NC n Taff

Top info , i get it now.

going to have a look on a star chart now to work out what to look for and how to find them. i have already learnt 10 or so contellations so had half an idea. But now i understand the M & NGC facts i can understand peoples replys and instructions more.

I am buzzin now and cant wait for the next clear night.

Cheers

Teddy I take by glasses off when I use the bins. The focus adjusts for any eye defects (unless you have astigmatism). I could never get the hang of looking thru bins (or a scope) with glasses on.

to focus - close the right eye and adjust the centre wheel til it's in focus for the left eye. Then close the left eye (and open the right) and adjust the right wheel until it's in focus for that eye.

the middle wheel will need to be adjusted for objects of varying distances. the right wheel should always stay in the same position.

hth

There's a couple of links in http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-binoculars/75850-110-binocular-sights.html for some binocular targets, and I'd recommend the book released by Philips... Stargazing with Binoculars... I wrote a review of it in the equpt reviews section.. if you can't find it, it's posted in my blog (link on the right hand side)

Cheers Nicklander

guess what i have astigmatism..... great. might see if i can get contact lenses to sort this problem out. my missus can see far more than i can and i do beleive it down to my poor eyes (i sound like a right case lol). will persist with my glasses on for the time being

Hey , last night i got ten min with a gap in the clouds and i had a look at the moon. UNREAL was all i could think.! Really impressive the detail i could see through my 10x50's. really happy with what i saw.

I also used all your suggestions and help and read more about the M and NGC references. i have worked out what i am going to find and how to. So thanks as i now have a mini project to get some sights seen. Then i guess the bug will be finally installed in me lol

Cheers

Cheers... ;) (sorry wasn't intending that as a plug..) ...

I've posted some links as a sticky in the Obs with bino's section... some targets and check sheets listed there.

If you need to where glasses to use the Bino's depending on the binos, try other twisting the eyecups back down (if they are the twist up type, like on my bressers) of just folding the rubber (as on my Celestrons).

I'm glad you got out and used them, and it is amazing how much more they allow you to see...

Cheers... ;) (sorry wasn't intending that as a plug..) ...

I've posted some links as a sticky in the Obs with bino's section... some targets and check sheets listed there.

If you need to where glasses to use the Bino's depending on the binos, try other twisting the eyecups back down (if they are the twist up type, like on my bressers) of just folding the rubber (as on my Celestrons).

I'm glad you got out and used them, and it is amazing how much more they allow you to see...

I'll echo what has previously been said......superb blog and fantastic photo's.

I've just been into town and bought "Stargazing with Binoculars" by Philip's after reading your review.

Many thanks and keep up the superb work on your blog.

JGS thanks for the help. I have opticron imagic 10x50 that have a twist function on the eye cup. i will just persist and see if i can manage to get comfy. i have never been bothered about my i sight (the fact i have to wear glass's) until now......needed them at 8 y old and i am now 34. typical

i did enjoy getting out but ....not clear enough skyies to get settled and start the search. i am hoping to have one in the next few nights if i (we) are lucky

A guest recently brought some of those Opticrons down and I was mighty impressed! My chequebook was twitching. I think you'll have fun. A lovely sight is the Double Cluster, as has been said, but you can also frame it with Stock 2, the Muscleman Cluster, and that could make a hard man cry...

Personally I think locating something in the bins then finding out what it is can be as as much fun as the reverse. That's how I found the Coathanger, another bino gem, when i started out.

Olly

Nice one olly , i still not had chance to use them properly so i dont know how good they are but i read some great reviews and took some good advice before i bought them. i will let u know how i get on.

yeah thats always a way of learning , have a scan , spot somethin and work out what it is. that will be somethin i will try some nights.

Teddy

PS what does "frame" it mean ...... is it get the objects and your FOV ??

Going to hate saying this, but, the moon is pretty close to full and damn bright. The Messiers and NGC's are going to be difficult at the present time. Difficult meaning close to impossible. I looked out last night and again tonight and other then the main constellation there is at present little else visible, even one star in Casseiopia was difficult. Well there is the moon:evil6:;):evil6:

Orion will be around in the morning and should be OK.

I would suggest that you search out a selection of double stars as some of these should be visible.

In a week or so it will have less influence(dimmer) so viewing (if no clouds:mad:) will be easier.

Arrr the moon !!;)

Yeah i went out last night and i found it hard to see anything myself.:( 5 star in cassy was really hard to spot. So i did what i should do and i had a scan around , i think i found The Pleiades (looks like 6/7 diamonds and the sky , looks kinda like a mini ursa minor ,, i think) i had a look at jupitor as i really wanna see the moons, i think i spoted two but not sure so it does not count and i had a really good look at the moon.

Is Cappella a double star. i have ready its a double double,. i focused and focused on this star and i could not split them (can i , am i doing anything wrong.), i was a really nice sight though as it looked to have a red/yellow glow. please can someone confirm this.

yeah when the moon clears i will be going for a few M's. Fancy trying to find M36 ,37 and 38.

Glad u posted this as i was doubting myself , glad its confirmed the moon was stopping me from seeing what i went out to look for.

Teddy

Cheers JGS but having done that i am not sure it matches what i saw. I am not 100% as the left moon was higher and the right moon was lower. was holding the binos and therefore a little unsteady (tripod been saved up for). In my FOV , what i could see is that the moons were only just away from jupitor.(ie v close) , closer than i thought they would be. may be i did see them but i think i will try again.

glad i found the the Pleiades , great sight which i think darker skies would make better

i wish i had everyone on this website in my garden with me so i could get help instantly lol.

You will have seen a couple of Jupiters moons. I looked middle of last week and first night I saw 2, the next night I had another go and managed all 4 when my eyes got adjusted. That was with smaller 8x42's.

Mizar in the plough is easy an easy double to split and if you can locate Cygnus the last star is Albireo which is a well known Gold/Blue double. It is on the limitation for binoculars but you can make them out. Too bright with the moon at present.

Polaris is a triple but you will only make out the easy double.

I understand that the last star in one "arm" of andromeda is also a colourful double. Again too much moon, but keep it in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Capricorn , Thanks for that advice. I am so overwhelmed by the help this site brings. Honestly its unreal. Well chuffed i have dome nice doubles to search for.

Thanks Again

PS chuffed to bits i saw jupitors moons !!!!!!!

Archived