Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light Images from the GEO observatory - Andalucia Spain - Oct 2009

NickH

Well, we just got back from a truly amazing few days in Southern Spain...(See Ian Pass (icpass) thread on the NGC281 image for more info on the site). We were testing and rigging up for three days, commissioning run on the cameras and computers, testing from an SXVM25C down to an Atik 16IC camera, multiple guide setups, focusers, computers, scopes (TV102, Borg, various Skywatcher refractors, Dobs and an Intes Micro 14" Maksutov...(visual eyepiece colour in M42....I kid you not!!). We had views through the Sheylak spectroscope (amazing!), and spent some great time with our wonderful hosts, John and Kath Griffiths (Royal Observatory Greenwich)

Anyway...here's a few of my shots..

M42 in H-Alpha

TV102/Skywatcher ED100 side by side

Atik 4021/Atik EFW - Astronomik 13nm H-Alpha filter

Autoguided by PHD 1.10/ED100/Meade DSI-ProII/GPUSB

Approx 12 x 6 min shots

M33

Same scope setup

Astronomik CLS filter

Atik 4021

Approx 34 x 6 min shots

cropped image

Running Man

Borg scope/Meade Dimension refractor

Astronomik LRGB

Atik 16IC camera

Approx 3 hours in 6 min exposures (8 xcls, 3 x green, 6 x red, 3x blue)

All images combined in Maxim DL5

FT Deconvolution

DDP

Processed then in Adobe PS CS4

Noels Actions

Focus Magic

We have a list as long as your arm of stuff still to do, things to fix, wiring etc, but for a commissioning run, and site test, we're just thrilled beyond belief

post-14410-133877406802_thumb.jpg

post-14410-133877406813_thumb.jpg

post-14410-133877406822_thumb.jpg

If anyone would like to see the full scale versions of the first two (2047 x 2047), let me know

(TIF/FITS data for these and the NGC281 shot by Ian Pass in narrowband also on a range of HDD's which we would post up via sendspace)

Archived