Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally a clear night...

vegas

Well what after seems weeks of promised clearness at nights, finally someone somewhere got it right. When it got clear this afternoon I was full of hope of finally getting outside again (my last real opportunity was at the end of September... blumming Work).

Anyway around 10pm i went to set up after the family had retired.

My ever elusive M57 unfortunately by this time had ducked past my fir trees, so I had to nail that one on the head.

Instead I went straight to M31 and my god, tonight was amazing viewing. It was very high, almost above me and despite the wind the seeing was very good. I've seen M1 several times now, but really have never seen it this good. The core was really quite bright, and I could see the outer region gradually fade away into the night, with a very definite cone shape. I think I also got a glimpse of M32 as well, as there was a small blur towards the upper right of my EP (remember I've got a Reflector, so it's all topsy turvy). I hope it wasn't my imagination and did centre it, so know it wasn't distortion from the edge of the EP. Here's hoping I've got another M to strike off my list!!

Did have a look for M110, however got a little lost, as my scope was having difficulty negotiating it's way around the zenith.

Next I moved on to the Pleiades which looked startling. This was my real first test when I got the reflector, as it's such a good naked eye view (always reminds me of a Question Mark) and with my 25mm EP i can get the entire shape in POV and it really helped with my navigating skills.

I spent about 20 min on the Pleiades and noticed some subtle fainter stars towards the centre that I have not seen before. The brighter stars did appear to have a shimmer to them. I'm not sure what it was, as I'm not confident that I could have seen the nebulosity with my eyes (is that not only on bigger scopes and astrophotographs?).

Finally I moved over to Orion. I'm so excited that it is now coming over my neighbours house at a reasonable hour (and will be even better after tonight as the clocks go back).

I went straight to M42 and immediately noticed the subtle blurry residue of the nebula. I switched from my 25mm to my 10mm and this just increased the detail. I could notice the triangular shadow that breaks up the blur. I did try my 6mm Plossi, but this did little more.

I then went to Alnitak as I am always hopeful of seeing some sign of nebula there, however I did not see anything. Something to work on for another night, though Im not sure if my equipment is up to the job!

I also saw what I believe must have been a iridium flare, as it had a very defined tail end. Actually it scared the bejesus out of me, as though I've seen shooting stars, I'd not seen one like this, which was very similar to the sort you would see in the opening of a disney film!

All in all a very satisfying evening. I'm looking forward to getting out a little bit earlier soon and finally nailing M57 and then I will be on the hunt for the doubles in Persus.

(I've never written a report before, so hope it's not too cliche or dull!)

Well done, and thank you for a lovely first report, Vegas! ;)

If you saw a small blur beside M31, it was most likely M32.. it looks like a fuzzy star. Your aperture and your sky conditions will dictate whether or not you can see M110. What's the aperture of your scope, and what magnification are you getting from the eyepieces used?

Your aperture and magnification will also determine what M57 will look like to you. Basically, look for a small blur (like M32) but about 6 times smaller. M57 looks stellar at low power, and many Amateurs have it in the fov without realizing it.. yes, it's that unimpressive till you kick up the power a bit.

You probably saw a slow moving meteor if you saw a 'defined tail end'. (Did it leave a glittertrail like Tinkerbelle's fairywand? I love it when they do that!) Iridium flares are mere points of light which brighten and fade.. they look like, well, a satellite.

Thanks again for a wonderful report. :(

Dull? Nonesense. That was an excellent account of your evenings journey.

The familiar objects you observed never fail to impress, and so much more awaits you. Let's hope the winter skies are kind to us all.

Ron.;):(

Nicely done Vegas! Fingers crossed for M57 on your next outing. I have seen it in my 5" reflector, but it was very faint. Maybe I'll have another attempt as the skies are darkening.

What scope do you have?

Thanks vegas, I also had a good night last night, and I'm about to post my first report too! And, was also wondering the same about M32, so think I must've seen it as well ;) I didn't stay out as late though - Betelgeuse was just appearing over the neighbour's houses when I called it a night, looking forward to the kind of views you had of Orion soon.

Excellent Vegas, thanks for sharing your experience. I was out about the same time, in the same wind, so I can picture your report as you were hunting around ;)

I think M32 catches most of us out as the images of M31 don't show the same relationship between the three galaxies that you see through the scope. With your 130 and 25mm EP I think you should be able to see M31, M32 and M110 in the same field of view. Don't quote me on that, but I think that is correct. You shouldn't need to hunt around too much if you centre M31.

I loved your description of Orion. I haven't seen this through the scope yet.

Archived