Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skyliner with tracking?

This is my first post on the stargazerslounge I have been pointed in this direction from cloudynights for advice on the Skywatcher Skyliner range. I currently have a Skywatcher Heritage 130p and I love it. I was unsure about a dob at first so I thought the Heritage would be a good way to decide whether I liked this style of telescope. I now want to upgrade my scope to 250px. I have a number of questions about this size of scope. Firstly do I go for either solid tube or flextube? I have no problem with storage space, its going to live in my garage and I don't have to move the scope too far, I do all my observing from my garden 10ft away. Secondly should I be considering the Auto model with tracking? If so how smooth are the views under tracking at high magnification, does it bump along? And can the Auto model be used manually?

I'm sorry for all the questions, any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I've not used the tracking version so can't comment on that although I tend to like the simplicity of a "manually operated" dob and spend as much as possible on optics.

If you don't really need the Flextube version for compact storage I'd go for the solid tube. It keeps collimation a bit better I believe (and this is a pretty short focal ratio scope we are talking about here).

I don't think there is a tracking version of the solid tube available though - this SGL member has created a DIY version though:

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/83583-skywatcher-skyliner-250px-black-diamond-auto.html

John

I like the look of that dob with goto and tracking. However is the additon of SYNSCAN something that is definite? I see on Rother Valley optics they say it will upgradeable in the future but else where I have read it won't be available. Any ideas?

I bought the 250px yesterday and it seems pretty good at keeping collimation even when you keep moving the tube up and down, also collimation only takes a matter of a few minutes once you get used to the idea. You will need an observing stool to make life a bit more comfortable and also a laser collimator might be useful. I haven’t had chance to try the optics yet so I can’t comment yet. I bought mine from Rother valley and they will make sure that you get it the next day. Making the scope up is easy they supply you with all the tools and it is really easy to do even without any instructions. Steve

I bought the 250px yesterday and it seems pretty good at keeping collimation even when you keep moving the tube up and down, also collimation only takes a matter of a few minutes once you get used to the idea. You will need an observing stool to make life a bit more comfortable and also a laser collimator might be useful. I haven’t had chance to try the optics yet so I can’t comment yet. I bought mine from Rother valley and they will make sure that you get it the next day. Making the scope up is easy they supply you with all the tools and it is really easy to do even without any instructions. Steve

Have you got the Auto model?

I like the 200 or 250 because you can sit on a stool to observe, 1200mm scopes are perfect for me, stop me getting a sore back.

Please let me know how the beast performs.

Thanks ;)

Yes I bought the auto model and if you can use an ajustable drummers stool and the height is just perfect for easy observing. I would go for the 10" model if you can afford it and when split in two the weight should not be a problem. If you are strapped for cash then the 8" model is an excellent alternative.

Yes I bought the auto model and if you can use an ajustable drummers stool and the height is just perfect for easy observing. I would go for the 10" model if you can afford it and when split in two the weight should not be a problem. If you are strapped for cash then the 8" model is an excellent alternative.

A drummers stool, that is an excellent idea.

Yes I am going for the 10" its the sweetspot IMHO. Do you have any information about the possible SYNSCAN upgrade?

I am not too sure whether that one is going to happen now. Judging from all the companies around most of them say no. If it is possible you can be sure the Chinese will find a way and market it. Steve.

Skywatcher hasn't given a release date for the GOTO upgrade yet. Last thing I heard was that they were still working on the firmware for the hand control. However the latest firmware seems to work just fine. You just need to plug a SynScan hand control into the mount and that's all there is to the upgrade.

You do need to uses a SynScan AZ hand control though as it has a 6 position plug on the end of the cable, the same as used on the SynSCan AZ mount. A hand control from an SynSCan EQ mount won't work as it has an 8 position plug and is wired differently.

As the GOTO isn't officially released yet it's a do it at your own risk type of thing. However as you're only plugging in a different hand control and not modifying the mount in any way there's not a lot of risk involved.

John

I like how this thread has progressed. Basically you can buy a 10 or 12 inch dobsonian with tracking and then add a SYNSCAN goto control unit for an extra £200 or less and bang you have an excellent telescope with all the tech you could want for a snip. Compare that to what a CPC1100 would cost.

It was well worth joining up here.

Thanks all. Especially Johninderby ;)

The one warning I would give if anyone is thinking of upgrading to GOTO is that while it makes for a great visual scope it has it's limitations for imaging. The clutches on both axis have a little bit of play in them, which is built into the design of the drive units. While this doesn't matter for visual use, it could cause problems while imaging. An Alt-AZ mount is never the best for imaging anyway, but if you just want to limit yourself to some short exposure lunar and planetary shots it would be OK.

Also the GPS mouse from Skywatcher works perfectly so you could have a GOTO dob with GPS for a comparatively low price.

John

The one warning I would give if anyone is thinking of upgrading to GOTO is that while it makes for a great visual scope it has it's limitations for imaging. The clutches on both axis have a little bit of play in them, which is built into the design of the drive units. While this doesn't matter for visual use, it could cause problems while imaging. An Alt-AZ mount is never the best for imaging anyway, but if you just want to limit yourself to some short exposure lunar and planetary shots it would be OK.

Also the GPS mouse from Skywatcher works perfectly so you could have a GOTO dob with GPS for a comparatively low price.

John

I currently have no intention to do any astrophotography. Maybe in the future but for now I just like looking.

John

John, i doubt astrophotography could be really be done with this beast anyway, not unless there is someway to combat frame rotation.

;)

Archived