Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Excited Space Person

Button Moon

Hello Everyone!

I haven't been on here for a while. I've recently come back from a holiday to Florida. I went to the Kennedy Space Center on a trip! It was brilliant and while I was there the Shuttle landed on the back of the 747!!! It was a great day out and brilliant to be with all the real space stuff

Oh and I got to touch acutal moon rock!! :D

You lucky person! I've always wanted to go there. My Ideal trip would be Kennedy, The Manned Spaceflight Centre in Houston, and the rocket development place in Huntsville, Alabama - I think they have a genuine Saturn V there, one of the cancelled Apollos (18?).

Hi

Sorry I haven't been able to get back on and reply ;). There is loads to see at the Kennedy Space Centre.

There is a rocket park with some of the actual rockets used and the walkway that Neil Armstrong walked along to board Apollo.

You go on a tour which takes you out to a viewing area were you can see the launchpads and the crawler (which is massive) that carries the shuttles to the launchpads.

There's a section all on the International Space Station and you could look through the windows and see them working on actual stuff that's going to get sent up to them!

You go in the actual control room that they launched the apollo to the moon and it does a replica shuttle launch counting down and then when the shuttle would of took off the room goes hot and the windows vibrate! It's brillant.

They have the Saturn V (I think it was) it's huge and you can walk under it and eveything. Then there's a piece of moon rock that you can slide your hand under a screen to touch!

There is so much to see and do and then there's the shop to buy stuff!!!

I have got some pictures but I don't know how you put them on here? :)

Me and the wife went to the centre in May 2004 on one of those trips which included lunch with an astronaut. Saw everything that Button Moon has said plus we had lunch with Al Chuck Warden who was the Flight commander on Apollo 15, it was really a great day out. There is a lot to see but its worth it.

Keith.

Lucky you !!!

KSC is my favourite place in Florida. I've been lucky enough to vist there twice now and personally I could spend our whole trip there (leaving the family in Disney World !).

As someone who witnessed the Apollo programme it's almost a place of pilgrimage for me. Next time I go I intend to do the historic pads tour when you get out to the old launch pads used for the Mercury and Gemini programmes.

If you need a break from the space theme there are some wonderful wildlife preserves nearby at Merritt Island and a nice sandy beach - Playalinda Beach - where you can catch hammerhead sharks from the shore !.

Altogether a very interesting area to visit ;)

John

Archived