NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New to astromony

Robzy

Hello,

I'm 19 and currently studying photography for my second year at college. I've always been interested in the night sky but after seeing a class mates astrophotography photographs I decided to splash out and get myself a Sky-Watcher 130P. :D

I haven't had an opportunity to view anything yet due to the cloud cover (I stay just outside Edinburgh).

However, with forecasts predicting only 33% cloud cover tonight I'm hoping to take my new toy for a spin!

Does anyone have any tips for me? I'll be taken astrophotography shots using my Canon EOS 450D.:)

hi Robzy and welcome,

download stellarium to see what you are looking at, then work from whats available,

try something easy to see first to judge how things are going,

jupter or orion are fairly good to start with,

plenty of excellent imagers on here will give you all the advice you need i'm sure.

regards ron.s.g

Hi Robzy and welcome to SGL! :D Great to have you here.

That is a great scope you've got there and will give you plenty of excellent views.

A few suggestions for starting out. Get yourself a star map - astronomy magazines like Sky at Night and Astronomy Now have a monthly star map and excellent articles giving you tips on finding the targets for the reason. Line up your red dot finder (RDF) in daylight. There should be instructions in your manual for this, if not give us a shout and we'll talk you through it :) secondly, if you have a cloudy night or a spare couple of hours in the day take some time to get a feel for your telescope. How it moves, what the various parts are called, how to balance it and read through polar aligning. No matter what the skies are like, there's always something you can do with your telescope :) It might be useful for you to get an astronomy book like Turn Left at Orion (widely used on this forum and one of the most well known beginner books out there). Have a raid of your local library and see what books on astronomy they have. See which one is best for you :hello2:

Here's a few suggestions of some of the easier located objects in the sky at this time of year that you could give a go.

In the constellation Lyra, M57 the planetary nebula is quite easy to find. Find the bright white star more or less straight above around half 9 and find the shape of the constellation beneath it. Use this map to find your way around. Position your RDF half way between the bottom two stars of the constellation and, using the lowest mag eyepiece you have (probably a 25mm) have a little look around. Use the technique of averted vision - looking to the side of where you want to be looking - to pick up finer, faint detail. Look out for a smokey ring - doughnut shaped - and that will be the planetary nebula.

Next try M31, the great Andromeda galaxy. First, locate the Great Square of Pegasus then use this map to 'star hop' (the technique of using easy to locate stars and shapes in the night sky to 'hop' from one object to another') to the galaxy. At very dark sights it is a naked eye object appearing as a grey smudge. Use a low mag eyepiece so you have a wide field of view and hunt around for it :(

Give it a couple of months and the winter constellations will be riding high in the South at a reasonable hour:

Orion, with the orion nebula to explore

Auriga, open cluster heaven

Taurus - home to the Hyades, a beautiful open cluster

M45, the Pleaides open cluster, a beautiful naked eye object that comes alive with even a small scope.

Make sure you get a star map, it's the most important thing. Last but not least, take your time. Don't get frustrated if you can't find an object first time. Just ask us here at SGL and we'll be able to give you pointers on what eyepiece would be best, the best time to look for it and what stars to use to locate it.

Great to have you here :(

Hi Robzy,

A warm welcome to SGL, you can look forward to some amazing sites with your new scope, but do not be disappointed with your first attempts and let that old enemy frustration in the door, take things step by step and if in doubt ask, have fun and enjoy the forum.

John.

Thank you for everyone's advice! :)

Ashenlight, I'll be sure to have a play around with the scope tonight! I'll let you all know how I get on!

I have a copy of Sky At Night already so I'm one step closer! :)

I got a couple of books with my scope, "Philips Guide To The Northern Constellations" and "Philips Practical Astronomy", so I'll definitely give those a read and find myself a copy of the recommened books too.

I can't wait for a clear sky, to point my scope at the moon and see for myself if it really does have a :D face or not! :hello2:

Thanks Paul.

Unfortunately he doesn't have a website yet. Although I may be able to convince him to upload the photographs for people to view on these forums.

I will almost certainly need your help with something but at the moment I'm sitting eagerly waiting for these clouds to pass over. According to multiple websites there should be only 33% cloud cover for my area.

It's more like the entire sky is blanket out. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived