NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

'Servicing' an EQ6?

tooth_dr

I've had my EQ6 pro synscan for about 22 months and haven't done anything to it such as regreasing, etc. It's about to mounted in an observatory and I was wondering if there anything I need to do to it, to keep it functioning and performing as well as possible. I recently tidied up my Dad's LXD-75, regreasing and removing the small 'slack' that started in both axes, but the LXD-75 doesn't scare me like the EQ6 :D

Thanks

Adam

Theres not much in an EQ6 - there are a few strip down guides on the web.

I did an HEQ5 with no web guides to help me really and it was scary but fun :D

You'll need the patience of a saint when you set the worm engagement for sure.

A few people who have played with my HEQ5 after rebuilding have been amazed how smooth it is so for me it was worth it but then I am a meddler - I cant won something without knowing I can fix it, strip it, make it better etc - its a kind of OCD thing.

hi

you are so right astro_babe, im much the same way, always wanting to get the most out of my stuff, thats why i ordered the hypertuning parts, and will be making the tune in not distant future.

but i think a good cleaning, and regreasing and shimming / setting the worms correct, will take you a long way against better performance.

the hypertuning parts is here Orion Atlas EQ-G Hypertune - Rubylith | Saves Your Night Vision

alfi

I'm very keen at taking things apart and having a good look around so to speak, but with the price of the mount and the risk vs benefit scenario, I almost prefer the saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. BUT like anything with moving parts, surely it is better to regrease, etc at some stage, given that it's performed faultlessly for almost 2 years. Are there any links out there? Any ones I've googled are dead links.

Thanks

Adam

Archived