Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My Hotech has arrived

My Hotech laser collimator arrived today and I must say it was a breeze to collimate. I bought a cheshire as well and they both agree with each other. It's made fantastic and has a cute box to go in. Just oozes quality and I cannot believe how quick it was to collimate.

For a beginner or indeed anyone this is the way to go. Who needs a cat'seye collimator, well maybe the autocollimator but that can wait.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just bought a cheshire collimater today ( missed your Baader by minutes!) Is it worth using it with a laser? Whats the benefit?

I have a 12"flextube dob and 200P newt that I will play around with later. I just used an old film canister with a hole in it before :D

Allan

Just bought a cheshire collimater today ( missed your Baader by minutes!) Is it worth using it with a laser? Whats the benefit?

I have a 12"flextube dob and 200P newt that I will play around with later. I just used an old film canister with a hole in it before :D

Allan

Thats what I was using before I bought this lot. I had a collicap which actually was pretty accurate when I used in conjunction with the Baader but it was always just a tad out.

When at the Salisbury star party Steve (albedo0.39) collimated mine with a cheshire and he got better results. Since then I've had the mirrors out to clean them and it has never reched the same degree of accuracy as Steve got.

But now using the Hotech and double checking with the Cheshire I seem to have cracked it. Just need a clear night to check.

The cheshire has a narrower sight tube, so to see the mirror clips I still use the collicap to centre the primary in the seconary and then just use the Hotech and double check with the cheshire or vice a versa.

I think I need a colli cap.

I just had a go with the cheshire, not sure if the secondary is totally correct, it doesnt look quite right, but is almost there. Thats as good as the film canister can get it, but it does flex and squash a bit, and the holes probably too big too.

Better get the plastic out again........

Allan

Well done Mick - really pleased to see that all this collimation lark has finally been nailed. Good when it happens eh ?

PS - got my dew heater components on order £2.50 + a battery from my local battery megastore.. It will look good though !

Well done Mick - really pleased to see that all this collimation lark has finally been nailed. Good when it happens eh ?

Well we will see when it's clear. But it does look alot better then it did before.

PS - got my dew heater components on order £2.50 + a battery from my local battery megastore.. It will look good though !

Can't wait to see this one. Don't forget take a few pics and tell us how it's done.

That would have me thinking "Bother! I needn't have spent that money!"

:-)

Not really. The Cheshire is very hard to use at night. I know you can shine a torch through the hole but it's a pain in the bum to collimate with it a night.

The laser on the otherhand is a doddle at night.

I just wanted to put my mind at ease and now I have the best of both worlds.

Hehehe welcome to the wonderful stress free world of collimation Mick, we will have to start a new Hotech owners yahoo group at this rate. It's so well built you can't help but have confidence in it. I bet you keep going and checking it's still in it's box just so you can admire it some more lol (well I did with mine when I first got it):):D:D

Can you all stop this Hoyech admiration please, its just a laser collimator.............but, the box does look very nice... and the collimator does have nice lines, and that lovely black sheen and white lettering on the body and that bright laser etched faceplate, and those knurled edges and self centering rubber compression rings.....oh, I seem to be dribbling a little.........:D

Allan

I got a 10% discount, just PM FLO and he will give you a code to enter.

What I do like about the etched plate on the Hotech is it has the following: I,II,III on it. You can then correspond these to your primmary collimation knobs by lettering them so you know exactly which one to turn.

Archived