Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Decided on the Dob

After looking at the pros and cons and reading all the advice from the wonderful people on here :D I've decided it's going to be the Skywatcher 250PX 10 inch Dob to replace the LX90. "Just" need to sort out where I'm going to buy it from, if possible part exchange for ease, but already getting excited about having a scope I can get outside in five minutes and will therefore actually use!! I'm sure reports will follow as and when :)

Going from 8" to 10" isnt going to be a big jump in what you can expect to see. I had an LX90 8" and then bought an LX200 10" Apart from the weight, there didnt really see much in it. In fact I thought the LX90 was nicer to use.

The 10" dobs are superb, but have you thought of going right up to a 12"dob ? The jump from 10-12 is far greater than 8-10 so 8-12 would be well worth it.

If you were closer ( or if I still lived in Coventry ) i would have your LX90 off you, no problem...

Allan

Allan that's very naughy of you to tempt me like that, you've got me looking at the 12" one now - however I do have a couple of problems with that... I suspect it's rather heavier than the 10" - I won't normally have help carrying it in and out of the house; and it's probably a fair bit longer OTA too, so I can't see it fitting in a Fiesta for taking it anywhere :D

where do you live then, is it much too far away?

Alfingido, I made a swithch from 8 inch to 10 inch SCT and did find a considerable difference, I must say. More resolution on the planets and more depth to the nebulae. Not a giant improvement but one well worth having, I thought.

Olly

Have a look at the 12" Flextube. Easy to move about in two pieces and will probably fit nicely on the back seat of a Fiesta :D The flextube 12 weigh a fair bit more, but isnt very tall when collapsed.

Trouble is, the prices go up a lot more but the 10" Dob is a brilliant bit of kit and I'm sure you will be more than impressed with it. First dob I looked through was a 10" and it impressed me so much I had to get one.

And, I live 200 miles away in sunny Kent. Never mind, I am sure my Wife would tell me I cant afford it and we certainly wont want any more telescopes around here!!

Allan

Not really and yes.

You can get a shroud for about £65. I am making one for mine, its cost me about £12 so far. Just need some wide velcro and its finished.

Mine seems to hold collimation well. I have had it about 6 weeks. It has wheels on the base so i am pulling it around the garden a lot. I collimated it when I got it and havent needed to do it again since ( I keep checking but its fine)

Allan

Archived