Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on Dobs

How do you do that then Phil? Do you just need an adapter to attach the camera to the eyepiece?

edit - PS - does it make a difference whether it's DSLR or not?

A bracket would be handy, to hold the camera in front of the eye piece. In my case I hand held it. A DSLR would make a big difference because you would have manual control of the shutter and aperture.

These are a couple of pics I managed of the Occultation of Saturn 21st May 2007. These are after reappearance.

P1010789.jpg

P1010790.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's one of the new Black Diamond solid tubes. The paint is actually black metalic with flecks in it. The white tubes have been discontinued as far as I know. I suppose some dealers might still have stock of the white solid tube dobs or they haven't updated their websites so it might be a good idea to ask before ordering.

Here's closeup of the Black Diamond finish cropped and enlarged from a bigger photo. Not the best photo but gives you an idea.

John

Wow, those are impressive photos! :D When you say you could use a bracket, does that mean the T adapter and T rings, or am I getting completely mixed up here?!

A typical bracket I had in mind would use the tripod mounting hole on the camera and then fix to the scope. It would be adjustable so as to position the camera in the right place where the eye would usually be to view the image. I`m no expert, but the rings and adapters you mention would come in to use when the camera is being fixed to the telescope without an eyepiece in place. That would involve a DSLR without its lens in place.

Ah right, I see, thanks. As the Skywatcher says it comes with a DSLR attachment, I'm guessing that that's what they mean, in that case. So you can put the camera to the eyepiece and take a photo through there, or you can take the lens off the camera and point it directly through where the eyepiece would be - in which case you'd get the view through the scope, but it wouldn't be magnified. Think I've got that :D

Looks nice! By the way, you added carry handles to yours didn't you - is there nothing to get hold of at all on the original OTA to carry it?

There aren't any carry handles. You have to hold the tube by the black plastic mountngs (as can be seen in the photo above) where the OTA fits to the base or one hand on each end of the OTA. The OTA isn't too heavy but the handles just make it so much easier to carry. I just can't understand why they aren't fitted as standard.

John

I just can't understand why they aren't fitted as standard.

John

because like so many things, they are designed and tested at the prototype stage by people who are in ideal conditions and don't have to pack it away in a sudden rain shower, whilst dodging dog mess and with cold hands :D

Archived