NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Casual observing 26/09/2009

ashenlight

I spent the majority of Saturday night at a party for my boyfriend's Grandad's 80th... although I managed to sneak outside throughout the night to see if the BBC was right with their prediction of a cloud free sky after 10pm. They were :o

Facing Northwest, Jupiter was more or less behind me and Ursa Major was clearing the tree line. Cassiopeia was so obvious high up above and the majestic Cepheus completed the line up of Kings and Queens for the night. My boyfriend enjoys this kind of casual observing as much (or even more) as I do, so we spotted the constellations we familiarized ourselves with on holiday a few weeks ago. He found it a bit disorientating after seeing everything lower down in the sky - from our location in the Dominican, Cassiopeia was balancing on the horizon out at sea, for example. The Summer Triangle was really crisp and clear and I could make out a fuzzy, hazy patch where the Coathanger cluster should be - that's a first for me :)

On returning home in a taxi with Karl's parents in tow, I stopped at the top of the garden to soak it all up before turning in for the night. To my surprise and pleasure, Karl's Dad stopped with me and we both stood there for quite a while just looking. Then, to my utter surprise and amazement, he said "look at that, there's some kind of cluster over there" and, pointing towards the southeast(ish) he'd only gone and spotted M45! It was my first sight of one of my all time favourite celestial objects this winter (wellmy first ground based sighting - I saw M45 from a plane window 2 weeks ago). I went into detail about the name - Seven Sisteres - and the history, and he listened carefully. It was a very proud moment for me. Perseus was stunning. Down a little further and there's Taurus - Aldebaran and the Hyades, wow. A little over to the left and there's Auriga - open cluster heaven - and The Kids provided me with another opportunity to show off my constellation history knowledge Further down still... old faithful Orion was clearing the houses. We stayed out a little longer and I surprised myself by being able to name every star he pointed out... it really is surprising how much information you soak up when you really love a hobby.

Karl's Dad loves to go fishing and was telling me all about his night fishing expeditions - Karl and I are hoping to go down to meet him one night at a darker location with a starmap and details of satellite and ISS passes, I can't wait :D

Sometimes, the best observing just comes from using the naked eye and pointing out what is up there to friends and family - the night sky never fails to amaze.

nice report Amanda

i enjoyed viewing with n without scope recently last few relatively clear nights.

really enjoyable and much more relaxing than imaging

also enjoy teaching my family n friends by pointing out Constellations, Jupiter and certain stars and information i have learnt

great way to test your own growing knowledge database

regards James

Nice write up Amanda, sounds like you had a great time.Some times i have a break from the scope and just look around looking at the constellations thinking back to child hood what i first make out.Like i thought M45 was the big bear LOL.Mark

Archived