Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting balance on RA axis

So for those unfortunate enough to be following my first throws into imaging will be aware of my setup (see signature)

I have just taken the scope outside and tried to get balance with my 5D in place. Unfortunately i cant get balance in the RA axis with the weight of the camera. Ive moved the cope as far forward in the rings as possible and also move the dovetail as far forward as i can.

So what do i do? do i need to get some form of counterweight to add to the front of the scope?

Thanks.

Moving the scope forward and backward will no effect on the RA balance. RA balance is done with the counterweight bar horizontal and is done by adjusting the weights along the bar. Current wisdom suggests that a slightly bias at the weights is good (i.e. the weights will slowly move the bar towards the ground)

When that is balanced, then you do the DEC balance with the RA still horizontal, which is what I think you are having trouble with.

It should be possible to move rings/dovetail foward enough to get close enough to balance...

My fault i meant the DEC axis. The problem i have is that the Megrez 90 is short and needs a short dovetail. To make matters worse the only way i have been able to connect the OTA to the dovetail is with M6 bolts on the middle runner, not using the allen key heads that would be recessed as the ones supplied were too short.

What allen key bolts would i need (length and M number? as this would help a lot :o

hi

why dont you take the screws with you to a place that sells those things, and take a guestimate on how long they need to be?

they cost almost nothing, so if you are unsure, take 2 that are 5mm longer, 2 10mm longer, etc.

sorry i cant help you anymore than that.

alfi

Archived