Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade Lightbridge Observing report as of 20.9.2009

Doc

Meade Lightbridge 16" F4.5 FL 1829mm

No Moon.

Started observing around 20.30

Only one eyepiece was used during this observing session, which was my 21mm Baader Hyperion.

Still trying to add to my Herschel 400 list so started with...

Ngc752 a very open and loose cluster in Andromeda, it covers nearly a degree of sky and shines at a magnitude of 5.7. Very pretty in a arrow type formation, I counted about 50 stars. Two very bright yellow stars to the west were hr556 and 56 And.

Staying in Andromeda I went hunting for Ngc7686 which turned out to be a very sriking compact open cluster. I saw two bright central stars one a little brighter then the other which looked yellow bordering on Orange, with about 40 dimmer stars surrounding it. No nebulosity detected. The cluster is situated amoung a very densely populated star field.

Over to Vulpecula next and another open cluster called Ngc 6830. The cluster is very hard to find as it lies amoungst a very densly popualted star field,moungst a fantastic star field. Not very large at 12' in diameter and only shines at mag 7, I estimate 30 stars but no edges defind so uncertain of boundaries.

Onto 52 Cygni and Witches Broom Nebula Ngc 6960. Using the O111 filter this stood out so well. This nebula is pretty large covering nearly three full moons but I was amazed how close the nebula is to 52 Cygni. The sight was fantastic and I could see the whole of the witches broom, a sight I will never forget.

With the O111 filter working well I wondered if I could detect the bubble in the Bubble Nebula Ngc7635. Using the O111 filter I definetly saw nebulosity but there was no sign of the bubble. The are around Ngc 7635 is awash with stars of all colours and sizes, a truly remarkable sight.

Droped down to see M52 an Open cluster in Cassiopeia. A fantastic sight as always. M52 is believed to be only 23 million years old. Its distance from Earth is not certain. Estimates range anywhere from 3,000 to 7,000 light-years. I counted about 60 stars and there was even a touch of background nebulosity.

Another three objects observed from the Herschel 400 list.

As I had work in the morning I finished observing about 23.00.

Nice report Mick - I must buy a O111 filter for my 10" Dob. I observed from just after 10.00pm until 1.30am this morning. I viewed 4 objects from the Steve O.Meara' Hidden Treasurers Book NGC6572 (planetary neb), NGC6709, NGC6633 and IC4756 all open clusters. I then had a look at M71 and M27 (the view of the Dumbbell with a UHC and the 8mm Ethos was incredible.

Finally had a go at Stephan's Quintet (still not convinced that I can see it although I appear to detect a smudge!!) and NGC891 (quite noticable but could not detect the dust lane)

Mark

Finally had a go at Stephan's Quintet (still not convinced that I can see it although I appear to detect a smudge!!)

I have seen the smudge as well Mark and am not convinced myself.

Great report once again Mick. I wonder if we were both looking at M52 at the same time? lol

It would be nice to think so Steph.

Great report Mick and it is encouraging to see we can now start some meaningful observations as early as 8:30pm! I would love to see M52 through a scope like yours - through my 5" it was a misty, irregular patch interspersed with pinpricks of light. It was amazing, but i'd love to see more detail. I didn't know those facts about M52, thanks for sharing :o

Really pleased you got out under the stars, I hope we get a good run of clear nights soon.

Archived