Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Heads up for Sun watchers

daveg

This one looks much bigger than AR11024 that appeared in July but the way the sun is behaving it may have died by the time we get to see it.

Yes hopefully you will see the spot and if its big enough the penumbral region (lighter bit) around the edge. But as BrianB says weather may spoil it.

Nick I saw images of that it is quite smalll alright, didnt manage to grab any myself.

DG

Thanks, I also hope that the weather will be nice. Right now all the sky is fully covered with clouds and taking into consideration the current season, the sun can be hidden for weeks now.

July sunspots were very disappointing. They disappeared exactly on Saturday :o

Hi,

I've also been looking forward to having a look at a sunspot and later this afternoon the sky was clear and I had a good view of the sun but couldn't see anything.

it is visible in white light in the SE of the Suns disc

I must be doing something wrong? :o Surely with my refractor and the sun visible through a diy baader solar filter I ought to be able to see a sunspot or two?

Thanks for any advice,

Liz

We have broken clouds here in Ireland - enough to get a glimpse anyway.

Liz

Yes your Nexstar 102 should find them alright. One is at the bottom of the Sun slightly to the left. The other is actually 2 "smudges" towrds the centre of the Sun. Be careful when focusing as the featureless disc can make it difficult. Focus on the edge of the disc to be sure. Do not expect "big" spots so scan the Sun slowly unitil you pick them up. My white light image on the solar images section is with a C100 so its nearly the same as yours. Hope this helps and let me know how you get on...

DG

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice. I managed to get a good look at the sun this morning (before the clouds appeared) but still no spots. I went really slowly over the whole disc ... it's very frustrating! The view was very sharp, no haziness or anything :o I even tried a 5mm ep.

I guess there's always tomorrow!

Liz

Hi, I think you're having the problems because of bad focus. I (at last!) observed sunspots this Saturday with my 130 skywatcher. I tried playing with focus (using 25mm EP) and sunspots simply become invisible if the telescope is not focused perfectly. Try using the following trick. Set up your 'scope, locate a distant tree, focus on it, put on your filter, locate Sun and look into the EP.

Archived