SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

cable release

hi all just recently brought a new cable release from jjc as it was half the price of the cannon version and it's useless, for some reason the delay between exposure's has to be longer than the exposure itself and it has no setting for the mirror lock .could anyone tell me if the cannon one is the same before i spend more money

hi john i'm using 1000d i had a manual cable release which was cheap and you had to stand there with the button pressed watching the time on the camera so when it broke thought i'd upgrade but the cannon one seemed dear so went with the cheaper option and although it does what it's supposed to it will only let me program a delay longer than the exposure if you don't it automatically set's for 99 min's very frustrating (wasted two hour's last night till i realised only got one sub)

Somebody on the POTN forum remarked that the Canon TC-80N3 Timer Remote Control can only take 99 exposures at a time, which is no good. Plus it's very expensive. I ordered one on eBay which can do what the Canon does and then some (like take unlimited number of shots) and for one fifth of the price: £ 21.95. It's underway at the moment. Shipped from Hong Kong. There's track and trace and the lot, so I'm happy.

Levdr... any progress on your remote? I'm interested in getting one, and like yourself, am unwilling to shell-out over a hundred sovs for the Canon one. Do you have an item number for the one you got, or a link to the vendor's e-bay shop, assuming they have one?

Thanks,

Ivor.

hi ivor still not got one and not sure if the the canon (tc-80n3) cable release even fit's my camera know so not sure what to do, the one i brought was from digital media store made by jjc but i really wouldn't reccemend it

Mike,

I bought a cheap remote for my Canon 40D instead of the original Canon one and on mine you do have to program the delay longer than the exposure, however the delay between exposures is only the difference between the programed delay and the actual exposure time

i.e for a requirement of two 45 second exposures I program a 50 second delay, I then get the first 45 second exposure followed by a 5 second delay (50-45) then the second exposure starts.

Hope this helps, Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away for some time and had missed your question. Here's a link to eBay's terence-camera. This is the one I bought: eBay.be: Timer Remote Cord For Canon EOS 50D 30D 40D 5D Mark II (object 270436155601 eindtijd 29-okt-09 10:01:50 CET)

Delivery was speedy (a week), and I had track&trace so could follow its whereabouts ("left Zhuanzan, China" or whatever it was... :D ).

And it comes with a manual as well, with reasonably understandable English (albeit not always flawless).

The device itself is great and does all the seller says it can do. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the shutter works the same as on my Canon 40D: press it halfway and it focusses, press it all the way down and the photo is taken. One thing though: this one won't turn off. You can leave it on and if certain functions are off, it uses little power. I myself just take out the batteries and it's no problem.

I'd already ordered a Canon RS-60E3 from Amazon when I wrote my last post! Talk about forgetful... :D

It's OK... basic, but functional enough until I actually need anything more feature-rich. It's a cable-driven job, has a straightforward click action, and a lockable "bulb" setting, but has no timer/intervalometer. I suspect that's something that will annoy me sooner rather than later. :D

Archived