Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Does anyone.......

Mick.G.

Suffer from what i think are called floater's in either of their eye's.?

I've just had an hour looking at the moon,& at first i thought it was an insect in the scope,tried the other eye,no problem.

Just driven me nut's.Any cure for it do you think?

Mick :cyclops:

Everybody does,

Floaters are pieces of material left from when our eye was formed - debris literally floating inside our eyeball.

In normal seeing conditions they are not a distraction in the same way dust floating in the air does not show in sunlight thru an open window. But, close the curtains and leave a thin gap of sunlight and the narrow beam highlights every speck that floats across it. So it is with our eye when the exit-pupil (circular beam of light exiting the eyepiece) becomes narrow - it highlights every floater that wonders into its path. Floaters are also sometimes seen in bright weather when our eye-pupil is at its smallest.

The only way around this is to avoid scope/eyepiece combinations that produce a narrow exit-pupils.

exit pupil = objective diameter / magnification

100mm objective at 50x = 2mm exit pupil.

Floaters can be many things - sloughed off cells, or blood mainly, though, or a result of eating really burnt toast. They usually leave your eye by means of a little valve in the side of the eye closest to your nose, and end up in your nasal passages and eventually your handkerchief, as the process of renewing the fluid in your eye goes on. This is also the reason why an eye injury or a good cry can result in the production of a lot of snot, as tears generally end up in your nasal passages, too, unless there are so many that they overflow and run down your cheeks.

Large, persistent floaters should be looked at by an ophthalmologist, but the smaller ones are normal. In 1984 I had a large floater across the bottom of my FOV, and decided to see the doctor next day if it persisted. As it happened, I went blind in my left eye by noon that day, and getting the sight back was a lengthy process. TBH, that came on so fast that I couldn't have avoided it by going to the doctor earlier in the day. However, it is not only diabetics who are subject to retinopathy, so if you have persistent large floaters, tell your doctor. The little flyspecks in your eye are normal, though.

Archived