NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello From Brookesy1991

Brookesy1991

Hiya I am new to this website, have been interested in astronomy for a long time and now deciding on bying a telescope, I have recently started researching about them but would appreciate the advice on which ones are better and the ideal one for beginers.

I am also confused on how the magnification works with the focal length and how to track down planets with the telescope.

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Just a few questions....

Budget.

Are you interested in taking photo's through your scope or just visual.

Are you physically fit to move a large scope.

Have you enough space to store a scope.

Is it easy to move the scope to your observing area.

Hello Brookesy, and welcome from a fellow newcomer.

All good questions from Mick.

I wouldn't rush into buying a scope, I started off with a £20 pair of binoculars which were remarkably good until I dropped them 2 weeks ago, Doh !.

With regards to you magnification questions,There are some brilliant primers and tutorials on this site which are well worth looking at. I did a lot of research on here before I (actually registered and became a member..:)..:D) took the plunge and got a scope.

regards craig.

Hi Brookesy and welcome to SGL

Good questions from Mick and wise words from Craig. Ask yourself what you what to achieve with a scope and then ask for advise again. It's very easy to what a telescope that does everything equally well, unfortunatly such scope doesn't exist but with help from everybody on this forum you can narrow your needs down and (hopefully) find the best telescope for you.

John

Hello and thank you everyone for all the welcomes.

Quote Mick's comment,

- I am roughly looking at a low budget to begin with as if I spend a lot on one scope then decide i dont like it, its a lot of money, I am looking at buying one around the price of £150.

- For now I am interested in looking but i would like to be able to take photos.

- I am physically fit to be able to move any scope around and I have the space required to store. It will also be easy to move to an observing area.

If this helps helps any on your questions thats great.

Any further advice would be great thanks you all.

With a budget of £150 you will struggle your best bet is to buy secondhand. For a little more say £195 then this is a very good beginners scope.

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SupaTrak AUTO

Astrophotography costs alot of money to do well. You could start by using the above scope but you are limited to short exposures. For proper astrophotography you will need a good EQ mount that will enable you to track the skies without inducing field rotation and these are upwards of £700.

I agree with Mick ( again) if your Budget is £150 then I'd deffo go for secondhand.

I bought my first scope, a skywatcher 6" newtonian reflector on a dobsonian mount for £90 ! the very helpful and friendly chap I bought it from had upgraded the finderscope and put a red dot finder on it.It was also in immaculate condition ( as new ) and I'm still in touch with the guy. ( brilliant hobby this).

I don't, and couldn't take photos with this scope though as it's a "push to" mount but i love it to bits and was a brilliant way into the hobby.

I guess i should mention to take all the usual precautions if buying second hand or purchasing over the internet. (i went in person and picked it up.).

I think in general newtonians offer a larger apature for your money and natural colour. But are a little less portable.

Refractors are more money for comparable sizes but are a lot more portable and don't really require cool down times like my scopes, or collimating ( which I'm only just getting to terms with myself)...cheaper refractors will sometimes give a little false colour due to the glass in them (this can be compensated for with colour filters though i think)

hope this helps.....:D

Archived