Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 457, the ET, Owl, or Number 5 is Alive! cluster

Starobserver

When you look through the Cassiopeia window you see a lot of open clusters, which actually belong to the Perseus arm, the next spiral arm when looking outwards, away from the galactic centre. One of the clusters is NGC 457, also known as the ET cluster, the Owl cluster and for me personally as the "Number 5 is Alive" cluster.

Observing report

This striking open cluster is very easy to find and identify. Even with the lowest magnification possible, the 35mm Panoptic (46x and true field of view 89'), it is completely detached from the background. I first tried all possible magnifications but in the end I like the looks through the 22mm Nagler best. It shows NGC 457 nicely with some space left around it. This eyepiece was also used for the sketch.

NGC 457 looks like a little "stick-figure" with its arms spread out widely, and he welcomes me to visit his wonderful world. It looks like a very warm welcome. A nice way to start the observation! The shape of the little figure is very obvious. In my 300mm Dobson he stands right up with his feet down in the north and his head with two glittering eyes up in the south. He spreads his arms out to the east and west. A lot of observers refer to NGC 457 as the ET- or Owl cluster, and I understand why, but to me personally, NGC 457 reminds me very much of Johnny, the friendly robot from the movie "Short Circuit" (Number 5 is alive!). On the movie poster he stands with his mechanical arms stretched out to the heavens, while being struck by lightning, and that's exactly the pose I recognize in the star pattern of NGC 457.

A pair of bright stars represents the eyes of Johnny. One is definitely yellow with a hint of orange, the other looks plain white with a suspected very faint yellowish hue, but I'm not 100% sure about this. I know there is a magnitude 9 M class star somewhere in this cluster, which should be "red", though I cannot find it. There is no real "central star". However, I do see two small asterisms inside the "body" of NGC 457, which jump right out at me. First of all, going north from the eyes I see three stars forming a little triangle. A bit more to the north, somewhere on Johnny's chest, I see a group of six stars forming a large question mark.

There are several chains of stars forming the arms and feet, but there are also dark and empty patches. I see no glow of unresolved stars or nebulosity. It is a sparkling bright cluster but not very rich in stars. While sketching the cluster I counted about 45 to 50 stars, some of them popping in and out of view. I didn't include all of these stars in my sketch. The two bright eyes of Johnny are of magnitude 5 and 7. The other stars magnitudes range from 8 to 13, so there's quite a large range of magnitudes visible.

The Cassiopeia window and Phi Cassiopeia

If you are interested in a little more background info about the Cassiopeia window and Phi Cassiopeia, maybe the brightest star (or not?) of NGC 457, please follow this link.

post-16664-133877396977_thumb.jpg

Hi Andrew,

Yours is a great sketch too. The similarity is stunning! Guess this makes us two good sketchers :D

You should try the color, it makes the sketch even more realistic. You can download a complete sketching tutorial from Jeremy Perez's website. I use his technique in Photoshop to get the colors. Just follow this link to get there.

By the way, my main target this winter will be a sketch in color of the double cluster. With the 35mm Panoptic it just fits in the field of view of the 300mm f5.3 Orion Optics dobson. I am however planning to mount the tube on my EQ6 for this project.

Clear skies

Math

ps at the moment I'm finishing M44, another very nice cluster.

Hi Math,

Jeremy Perez's website must be THE website for astronomical sketches, partcularly for nebulae and galaxies. I've looked through some of his tutorials, but I don't have photoshop - I'm using the free GIMP software he suggests as an alternative.

I've put my old sketches of clusters in my Albums on the forum now. For some reason I've never sketched M44 - it's certainly a job for this Winter. The double cluster was one of the first things I had a go at (using my 4.5" Newt). I'd also thought about having another go with my bigger scope this year, but it's a big project (I would guess there must be at least 200-300 stars visible). It should look great with the colour included - I'm looking forward to seeing your sketch. :D

We're using the same scope (300mm OO at f5.3), but I still have mine on the dob mount, which would be a bit of a pain for a sketch that would probably take several hours! :) I'm interested to hear you put yours on an EQ6. I had been wondering about doing that. It's not too heavy so I thought that stability would be okay, but I wondered how difficult it would be to set up and take down alone? Do you do this single-handed or do you have a permanent setup?

Andrew

Archived