Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Synscan-mains powered

Tried to run the above mount,from a extension cable,and ac/dc adaptor at 12v.The red light on the mount is lit until the hand control is being used,then starts to blink,indicating low power.When i try to slew the mount it goes out altogether!This is just the mount,no OTA or counter

weights.I realy want to try and get used to the mount before it goes into the observatory,which is still being built,compleat with mains electric.

All help appreciated.

Regards,

Sooty.

It could be the plug that goes into the HEQ5. I had a problem with mine and FLO sent a replacment cable - it worked a treat although it too now seems a little dodgy! I think I will have to make up another one but my current lead has exactly the same symptoms as yours. Have you tried pushing the plug in a little more when the mount is slewing and the lightis off? When I do this my light will stay on constantly whilst I am pushing it in!

I added three click stop clamps onto my EQ6 to stop the cable wiggling loose.

sj201169.jpg

Next time I set up, I`ll take a picture of it.

That being said, I`m pretty sure the issue above will be due to an under powered AC->DC adapter. 12V 3A minimum I would guess.

I'm using a 180W computer transformer ( 12V to 15V) for the HEQ5pro. This gives an extra boost from the usual 12V and still within the Skywatcher spec.

This fits either to a 20Ah,12V battery or the 3500mA 240/12V household transformer. Your 300mA is only 0.3A ( 300/1000=0.3)

Using 240V transformers outdoors can be very dangerous. Make sure it's well protected from moisture etc in a ventilated enclosure.

It could be the plug that goes into the HEQ5. I had a problem with mine and FLO sent a replacment cable - it worked a treat although it too now seems a little dodgy! I think I will have to make up another one but my current lead has exactly the same symptoms as yours. Have you tried pushing the plug in a little more when the mount is slewing and the lightis off? When I do this my light will stay on constantly whilst I am pushing it in!

I had the same problem with my mount Craig I did as Steve suggested and put a cable clip on the mount this seemed to sort out the problem. I later found that it was actually down to a cracked solder connection in the socket on the mount. A quick resolder and all has been well now.

Regards

Kevin

You'll need a beefier power supply - depending what else your planning on running off it. The HEQ5 needs a good 2amps. I measured draw on mine and it ran up to 2amps on a slew with just the basic scope.

To be honest I doubt loading (so long as the weight is balanced properly) would draw much more but if I were going to install an obs I;d get the biggest supply practical because the only time you bhave too much power is when your being electrocuted :D

Archived