Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Transferring data from the Obs PC to house...

Can I ask a bit of IT help please? I've got a PC in the Obs which is connected to my broadband router (wanadoo livebox) by cable. My home PC connects to the livebox wirelessly. Both are running XP. Is there a way of transferring my files from the Obs down the wire to the home PC?

Thanks

Helen

You will have to create a network group, there is a wizard within XP to set this up. Once you go through the wizard on the one machine you can then get it to write the network settings on to a memory stick. You can then run the same wizard on the other machine and using the data on the memory stick to setup the second PC. Then you will need to setup a folder on your obsy machine with it's properties set to shared. This should then be visible under your network places area from the Start button on your main PC.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Helen, make sure both computers are in the same workgroup you do that by right clicking 'My Computer' icon, then selecting 'Computer Name' tab.

After that its a case of sharing one folder on the one machine, move all your data into that, then go to the other machine and click on 'Tools' , 'Map Network Drive' and select the first machine you enabled a share on from the Browse option.

If you have any problems with this let me know and I can email you a word document with it all laid out.

Regards

Keithp

Well if both pc's are on then if you setup shared directories on both pc's, then you can simply open the shared directory on the other pc (from the pc in question) and copy the data. You can open the shared directory via explorer (or the run command) although you'll need to know the ip address of the machine in question unless you want to setup a workgroup.

One easy thing would be to setup static ip addresses for each pc in the router (if possible) then you will always know what ip address the pc's have or else just lookup the ip address for each pc via a dos call 'ipconfig /all' to get the ip address.

Hope this makes sense.

Kathleen

Archived