Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first good spot, M31.

hoobz

Hi guys, only my 2nd hour with a telescope last night an i managed to find m31, which i'm chuffed to bits with, cud see the main shape etc, my quesion is this.. the moon was bright as hell last night out there!!! does it make a great difference in what you see with something like the m31 when its a full moon???

great views of jupiter too.

Hi Hoobz, yes it can make a difference, especially when it is a full moon, it's like someone has turned on millions of flood lights lol. The darker the sky the better.

The moon is also better viewed when shadows are cast along it's terminator ( the point/line between the dark and and light areas when it is not a full moon as better contrast is achieved.

I know it's not every ones favourite,,but I love looking at the detail that becomes apparent along the terminator, mountain ranges jump out at you, crater walls etc, it can be such an immersive experience....

Being a bit of a DSO nut, I'll give that a try.......

• 4 weeks later...

I often overlook the moon in favour of more 'exotic' objects, but lately I've been studying it and have to say it is a fantasic experience. The fact everything is so sharp and well resolved makes a pleasant change from the fuzzy DSOs.

My attitude now is that I try to maximise my viewing enjoyment whatever the phase of the moon. If it's so bright that seeing the dimmer DSOs is hard I just spend time exploring the moon itself, and when it's in a dimmer phase I resume my search for the DSOs!

If you've not seen it yet, the Virtual Moon Atlas might be worth a look - it made my moon observing sessions much more interesting: en:download [Virtual Moon Atlas]

Clear skies to you!

Congratulations on seeing M31 - that's a memory that will stay with you. And you're in for a treat once the moon is out of the way, because then M31 will look even better.

The full moon is about 12 times brighter than when only half illuminated (during partial phases sunlight hits it at an angle and there are shadows on the surface). Even a low crescent moon will partly wash out a dark sky. From a light-polluted site this isn't noticeable - the moon is just another streetlight. But when it's full, most deep-sky observers would say that's the time to look at planets or stay indoors.

I do deep-sky observing from a dark site, but don't bother going at all if the moon will be in the sky for a significant part of my observing time. I time my sessions around the moon phase and its rise and set times:

Moonrise and Moonset Calculator

You'll soon discover something all deep-sky fans know only too well: the clearest nights somehow tend to be the ones around full moon!

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the info guys, had a fairly good night last night, some good views of jupiter and some double clusters, then came in for a bit an waited up for orion, had me scope on m42 for 5 mins and the clouds rolled in!! gutted tbh lol.

Archived