Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

QHY5

Any one any tips ( do's or donts ) for installing software for the QHY5 cam's. Prob's gonna use Guidemaster but have also got PHD.

Any and all tips appreciated , err , apart from the '' take off the camera cap and mind connect power supply ! '' lol

Pete

The only 'quirk' I've found with the QHY5 is you need to plug it into the same USB port every time you use it otherwise it'll re-install the drivers. Other than that, it's no trouble at all with PHD. Never used guidemaster, sorry.

Tony..

do not download any of the other derivatives like the qhy5v

Hmm , it's the QHY5v that I got ......does that mean all bets are off now ? lol. Can I ( oh oh ) assume the drivers for the non v version will work ok with the 5v ?

I have had a play with the QHY5v and the supplied instruction sheet gave details of how to download suitable drivers for MaximDL, AstroArt and Guidemaster but there was no ASCOM driver available. I tested the camera using MaximDL and found the installation to be very straightforward with the camera being instantly recognised.

This is a nice camera with a smaller sensor than the QHY5 but with a higher possible frame rate making it suitable for Lunar and planetary imaging. Unusually for a CMOS sensor this device has a Global Shutter which can result in smoother quality images as it exposes the entire image simultaneously. With the built in ST4 port controller and slightly larger pixels, it has dual functionality. I don't think there is a driver for PHD and I am not a fan of Guidemaster but I know lots of people use th software without difficulty, I just don't like the interface in comparison with PHD!

Hi Steve

The reasons I chose it ( over the standard ) was the Global Shutter as opposed to Rolling Shutter , along with the higher frame rate, and with larger ( ish ) pixels hopefully can be used for star guiding. Be interesting to see results from Planetary/Lunar.

There are Beta drivers that were released a few days back for PHD but I was informed by Bernard there a bit ''buggy''. Hopefully they will get the bugs under control soon , seems well supported. If needs be I will see about getting MaximDL, a few have recommended it as well .

BTW , lovin the book that came this morning.

Cheers

Pete

Archived