Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Did I see M13 last night?? and M57 question

acharris77

Hi all, I went out stargazing last night for the first time in well over a week due to the weather. I started off just observing @ the EP for the first hour or so looking stuff to look at.

I tried to find the M57 Ring nebular, but I could not find it. I then used my goto, and it put me in the direction, but I used the scope to move around the area with my 25mm EP, but all I could see was lots of stars, but no fuzzy.

So I then tried the M13, and this time I saw a grey patch of light, like solid and a few stars. It was a round shape, but it was a solid patch. Could this have been the M13 or not???

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Anthony :)

M57 is quite hard to find, I struggled for a long time with it. Persevere and use alot of averted vision at each FOV, whilst you are scanning across. It is a very faint patch of grey - with good dark adaptation and patience and a LOT of averted vision you should be able to make out a 'centre' - a less grey area, lol. I could, and I have the same size scope as you. You might find this thread useful.

On to M13, where abouts were you looking, did you use the Go To? Use this map, were you int he right area?

Your description sounds about right. To me, using both the 25mm and the 10mm EP (the higher mag makes no difference really) I can see a fairly solid looking grey 'orb' with a definite sense of depth to it. There is a grainy look to the outer area, which is slightly improved with averted vision. You can also use binoculars to spot this - it is smaller but still noticeable in my 10x50s.

From my experience of M13, I think you had it! It can be a little bit of a let down when you observe it for the first time - after all the wonderful photos on the net and on SGL, I was sort of expecting to see something a little more mind blowing. But when you realise what you are looking at... it is breathtaking.

Try to find it again, a second look might confirm it - but I think you got it :)

Thanks for that Amanda, yes looking at that link, I was in the right position in Hercules and yes, it did look liked it had depth to it. I was impressed, as I have only seen one other fuzzy since owning the scope, as all the summer nights are to bright to see anything.

Now the skies are darker and that maybe I can bag a few more DSO, even though they dont look like the photos, it is, as you say quite amazing to think were they are in the universe and how long the light takes to reach us.

Thanks again, and next time I am going to find it without the goto,as I have found some double stars without the help of the goto, it was just after the M57 experience I wanted to just find a DSO to make it worth while so the goto was used....lol. Thanks.

Hi Talitha, my sky is not as bad as some areas around me from my back garden, as I am overlooking the mountain, so to my S, SW I got blank skies, but the streets light I have, seems to ruin my dark apapted as, as soon as I move my head and usually end up looking at a street light.

Otherwise, light pollution is too bad, but not really great either. Thanks for that, and I will have to try and find some darker site...lol.

Anthony,

I'm pretty sure you did see M13.

Once you find it try to use your higher power eyepieces with averted vision as this can help to resolve some of the stars. Also keep trying on different nights throughout the year as I find I get excellent views of M13 in a 150 mm scope in the autumn.

For M57 you need to be aware that it is very bright and very small so you probably mistook it for a star. Again a medium power will show it is 'fatter' than the other stars and a higher power will show the ring shape - even in 90mm scopes.

other good objects now are M27 and M31.

And try a towel or hood over your head to keep from being blinded by lights when you look away from the eyepiece.

Good luck

I struggled with M57 at first because it was much smaller than expected. I ended up scanning the area with a higher power and found it. Once you've found it you will have no problem finding it again. I observe very close to a street light from my balcony with generally very bad light pollution overall. None of the globulars look too spectacular until I view them under dark skies.

M57 can appear small unless you've got a lot of aperture and high powers. I was nearly bowled over by M27 seen at salisbury - it is huge ! Anyhow Anthony, keep trying on M57...I have seen it several times in a scope a lot worse than yours - namely an old Tasco 4.5" with rubbish EP's. Dark skies might be a factor... Keep at it

Finally, from your description, i think you must have seen M13 - it's unmistakable.

Archived