Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pier Materials

Coco

would an 8" RSJ or H section beam make a reasonable pier?

I got one at work but am an sure about its ability to absorb vibration.

its a stonking heavy bit of metal... :)

Guy..

Guy,

If you are going to make the pier yourself, as an CAD designer & former fabricator, I would suggest niether.

In fact I would suggest using either CHS (circular hollow section) or SHS (sqaure hollow section).

The chosen materials should be of sufficient size as to ensure a good strong structure to support the mount & scope, plus motors if used. The base would need to be sufficient to give a good firm fixingt to the ground, whilst not impeding on the floor space (no trip hazards). the top would also need to be in two stages, the top mount of the pier itself, with a further mounting plate for the mount (EQ4, EQ5 etc). this second plate will need to be raised from the top of the pier as the bolted connection from the mount will need a clearance gap. I would also suggest that once bolted to the concrete footing, you may wish to fill the pier with a form of balast i.e sand to assist with dampening. I trust this answers your question, & that I'm not to far off the mark.

Alternatively, if you look in the suppliers.vendors forums, look for the thread on incoming pier from Steve at FLO. that could also give you some good pointers.

Happy spotting

Cheers for that.

I have the steel here at work, we have a machine shop. My calculations show only 31 Inches will be needed above ground leaving 35" in the ground.

This is heavy 8" with 3/8mm thick H section, I thought it would suffice.

The alternatives are expensive. .:)

Guy...

I suggest the others purely for asthetic purposes.

The 8" will be fine, but check out this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/sponsor-announcements-offers/83054-new-telescope-pier-incoming.html

It is a pier that Steve & Aurthur are working on. The bos or circular sections would allow for the ends to be closed off, and filler of say sand for dampening.

I would also suggest not fixing the said pier into the ground, rather on the concrete base. This would then allow for removel & subsequent re-installation should a house move be in order at some point.

Tony

I suggest the others purely for asthetic purposes.

The 8" will be fine, but check out this thread http://stargazerslounge.com/sponsor-announcements-offers/83054-new-telescope-pier-incoming.html

It is a pier that Steve & Aurthur are working on. The bos or circular sections would allow for the ends to be closed off, and filler of say sand for dampening.

I would also suggest not fixing the said pier into the ground, rather on the concrete base. This would then allow for removel & subsequent re-installation should a house move be in order at some point.

Tony

Whats wrong with leaving the new owners a long lasting steel sculture in the back garden :)

Guy...

I have read almost all there is on pier design and I still think too much is made of vibration. It really is unlikely you will have the neighbours round for a square dance in the middle of an imaging session. As for aesthetics why not clad the pier in wood and fill the spaces with sand if you really need to. I doubt you will.

Dennis

go for it. Steel and piers cost a small fortune if you have to buy them.

As said, i believe too much is given to vibrations, we are after all amatuers and that level of perfection is not called for. Clad it in ply as well.

Archived