Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Helios Stellar Observation Binoculars

starscy

Has anyone purchased any Helios Stellar Observation Binoculars recently? These are apparently the only binoculars under the Helios brand that are not made in China. I was able to find some reviews for binoculars purchased some years ago, but chances are these have been improved now. Any information would be appreciated.

This might not carry a lot of weight coming from a dealer but coincidentally I recently checked a Helios Stellar 15x70 that was destined for Finland and was impressed. It is noticeably better optically than the cheaper Celestron 15x70 and similar, build quality is also in a different league. If it had twist-up eye-cups and pull-up shields for the objectives they'd be fantastic but I guess that would be unfair criticism considering their price.

HTH

• 4 months later...

I read that there used to be issues like short eyerelief, narrow TFOV and chromatic abberation with these binoculars made a few years ago. Have the binoculars been improved now and any of these issues have been resolved?

I realise it may be out of your budget, but if you could afford an extra £80.00 or so the Pentax 20x60 PCF WP II are really exceptional and have built in field flatteners. The best 20x60's I've ever used. You'd have to move up to to some of really high end binos that go for ridiculous prices to do better.

John

Which country are you in? I believe that FLO does ship to Europe.

You could check Pentax's website to find a local dealer in your country.

http://www.pentax.com/subsidiary.html

The following dealer in the UK does ship outside of the UK so you could try them.

http://www.binoculars-uk.co.uk/binoculars_uk_info.html

John

Starscy

I wrote a little comparaison between the Helios Stellar 20x80 and the BA8 15x70 .

Telescope Reviews: Helios Stellar 20x80 versus TS Marine 15x70

Maybe you've read this allready

I wonder too if the nowadays stellar has been updated or not.

Short eyerelief seems still 'not updated'

Japanse or not, if it's still thesame it's a bit surpassed by the Chinese quality thesedays.

It sure sells for a lot less now that a the time i bought it.

But build quality and baffling were quite good on my model.

• 3 weeks later...

This should not be a "loyalty" issue as we are talking about the Republic of Cyprus which is a member of the EU. If Fedex is not willing to ship here (even if Cyprus is listed on their website) it's their problem and a problem of companies doing business with them as they are loosing customers. Other couriers (e.g. TNT, UPS, DHL) do ship here.

Archived