Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First autoguided M31 and M27

rikyuu

hi,

this is my first autoguided attempt on a DSO and the first time I've tried M27 (I've done 30sec on M31 before, but of course just ended up with a fuzzy blob!).

M27 is a lovely object to image, colorful and a decent size. I'm also very pleased to have finally imaged some of the spirals on M31, it's atually quite a difficult DSO to image and didn't quite fit into the FOV....I'll try the C80-ED nextime.

Both were done with my 200mm SCT on the CG-5 GT, with a Hirsch F/6.3 reducer, guided with the Mintron with a 122mm zoom lens using Guide Master. The guiding appears to have been much better for M31 than for M27, which has slightly elongated stars.

M31 was 10mins x 3, ISO400

M27 was 5mins x 6, ISO800

Stacked in DSS and processed in PS.

Thanks for looking.

post-14666-133877391947_thumb.jpg

post-14666-133877391953_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Guild of Guiders...

Looking good for 10 min subs...

A couple of thinks to check...

focus errors will become more obvious now... make a Bahtinov mask and use it to check focus on a bright star.... I normally use the last alignment star to check focus and train the guiding...

Whats your polar alignment like... The closer you can get it the better...

Peter....

Those are great efforts. M27 looks fine apart from the little star drift.

M31 has more impact when all of fits in the FOV.

Not bad at all though for first AG attempt.

You will be even better next time.

Ron.:)

Great first shots!! Now you need to add

1) Darks to get rid of the amp glow at the right hand side.

2) Flats to take out the dust bunnies ;-)

When you master someting, there is always someting new... Isn't that just great? :-)

Thanks all for your helpful comments. Still got some work to do, but getting there. I've seen a couple of step changes with my imaging recently by moving to the CG-5 and autoguiding. The longer subs really do help, but of of course, they are a bit more tricky. I still have the ALT/AZ GOTO (grab and go), which I will need to capture Saturn as it's behind my house so I will need to go out into the field close by.

I'm looking forward to it getting darker earlier so I have more time, I'm not so good with late nights!

I definately need a lightbox too, as I can never seem to get rid of all the dust, and take some darks as you say, now the subs are long enough to introduce amp glow.

My polar alignment was only rough, but I've got the Polar Finder software installed now to get me a bit closer and I'll try out drift alignment too as I have a monitor with cross hairs on, although it means moving the Mintron to the main scope to get the magnification required.

Lots to do and so little time!:)

It will all be worth it in the end...

It almost an iterative process as each time you improve a particular area it shows up waht you need to do next...

But your well on the way :)

Even when you get it all sorted you will get the odd "curve ball" and have to play detective to find out whats "defective"...

Peter...

Archived