NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

scratch on secondary

Ok I'm an ijit! I was playing about with my scopes collimation (twas cloudy, twas bored, thought to myself "what can I mess with?" and had read thread on barlow colimating. (Very good by the way, just need to improve my tools)) when disaster struck!

Ok bit OTT, but i managed to scratch my secondary mirror with... (dare I admit it?)... my watch!:) It's about 1cm on the thin plane from the edge towards middle. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow and post.

• I'm wondering how much effect it will have of my viewing.

I had it out last night but moon was on full beam so things were very bright. I did however have a great view of the moon for a while between clouds.

• Is this going to mean a secondary mirror should go on shopping list? If so where would you get one?

On plus side I did learn a lot from session and had aligned the secondary in the tube better by adjusting spider vanes. I was probably losing a cm or 2 of edge of primary. Then with the barlow collimation I think I got that nailed. Bright stars still seemed a little a little of points of light but thats probably my eyepeices.

Overall, I don't have that sick feeling you get when you know you've really :). I actually feel if I had to change mirrors I could!

It won't have much of an impact on the views you are getting, but IF you think you can get some black ink (say from a marker pen) into the scratch to cover it over without getting it on the mirror itself then it wouldn't go amiss and would help stop any wayward reflections.

Forget it, it won't degrade the system one iota, I know it will irritate you for a while, but time is a great healer. There is nothing short of coating removal and/or polishing it out that will correct it, so

try to put it out of youir mind. Gaz. is right though, try to black it out as finely as you can, but if you are loathe to do that, then don't.

Ron.:)

Thanks Astro Baby,

I feel a bit of a tool already!

Also I'm wondering about your collimation guide. The link no longer works and I was wondering if you had a copy you could email me? It was great and I really should have saved it when I read it!

Thanks

Archived