NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Crescent at f9, what a pain

minimalist

This is a project I started back in june, before I got distracted doing the milky way mosaic... which was a much more worthy effort, imo. :) This one is actually testing my patience more, as I have discarded numerous frames over several nights due to all sorts of gremlins. I know some of you guys could pull more out of the data, but this is all I can do. 7hrs 20min in 20min subs at iso 800, taken through the at6rc, astronomik cls, modded 1000D. Compare with the teeny Crescent in the mosaic (at about 8hrs of data at iso400) and you'll see why imaging at f9 is so sloooow compared to f5.

Here it is:

http://2wcg2g.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pzJGvgkfVYEUniwTuLn534rsmZ6Vi2c_AkUjXwrLiv01hjgXti5TFRQU86v5Rhum--nJzNC9Ygks-ORmg_PMtNZBWvQxZqo1S/Autosave001.jpg

Comments, criticisms welcome. Next target, after the moon gets out of the way is to finish the mosaic, then we'll see. :) Any suggestions welcome!

Daniel

I think you're your own worst critic.

Looks magical to me. An Image hits you, or it doesn't, and this one does. Not much on technical answers and appraisal, I just find it beautiful to look at, and in the end, is that not the most important

element.

Ron.

Very nice indeed... Love the color and detail...

I have tried a bit of imaging at f10 and some masochisitc stuff at f20 but its widefield that really floats my boat....

Hopefully this autum and winter I'll get a chance to work up the Multi SLR setup a bit more...

Peter...

Thanks Peter. Not heard about the multi slr thing, is it along the lines of Arthur's multi scope setup? Can't remember what he named it, looked like something you could use against an air raid. :) I couldn't even begin to try and synchronize that beast, let alone figure out the bank account to pay for it. Cool idea though.

My version would be a bank of four modded 1000D's connected to four decent manual focus Takumar lenses (135 or 200), all on some sort of dual mount bar, with two on top and two underneath, and the guider, also a takumar mated to an old dsi/dsi pro in the middle of the bar. Fairly cheap overall, and easy to mark focus on the lenses and maintain it. That would be a killer widefield setup imo, and not very demanding of any mount really. I have a single version of that running on a wedged celestron slt mount, gets great results when traveling.

Actually, you could use the cheapo plastic fantastic 50mm f1.8 lenses stopped down instead, and take an almost 90x90 deg section of sky at one time!

Daniel

Daniel

I use one modded camera on a Megrez72 FFIII to provide a widefield context shot and another on the 8" SCT whilst the whole lot is guided through a 500mm f8 telephoto lens...

Then combine the data from both scopes with registar...

Well thats the theory...

Not enough clear skies to have really got where i want to be with it yet...

Peter...

Very nice Daniel, Wow, 7Hrs - 20Min is one heck of a lot of exposure, is there no way to speed up the RC. As you say f9 is very slow for this type of object but you are too hard on yourself, a nice image and lovely scale, some really nice detail showing.

Brendan

Thanks guys. Brendan, I think Trevor uses a WO reducer, but I also think his scope is the 8" version, not the 6" like mine. I'm a bit concerned about using that reducer on mine, since the image circle is much smaller than the 8", so I could end up with a lot of vignetting and maybe even distorted edges. I've been looking to see if anyone tried the 6" with a reducer and what results they got, but nothing yet.

Daniel

That's a great shot considering it's a DSLR at f9. I tried a bit of DSO bagging with the 20D and my OMC140 at 2000mm f/l but it was really slow even on bright DSOs like M13. I felt like a real mug when I found out you can get better results with ordinary focal lengths and a peltier cooled CCD!

Okay, the nebula is going to be a bit coy at f9 but have a look at some other Crescents on the net and pat yourself on the back for quite a few unfamiliar double stars you've pulled out there. Horses for courses.

Olly

PS Curious that a married man should be strongly self critical. It isn't usually necessary...

Archived