Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just got a new 450D (now how to use it)

Hi i have just brought a new canon 450D , ive had a quick look through the manual and have the basic's of it but i could do with a good site or sticky on how to use it for astrophotography,you know ,what settings to use ect , consider that ive never use a DSLR before so even the basic's

One thing that i THINK i need is a remote switch , is this a must for certain things.

Thanks Tez

I have vast experience of using my 450 (well, one attempt) but here are the settings I used. Someone who really knows what they are doing will come along and correct the errors and omissions.

Mike

Enable mirror lock up.

Enable / disable live view.

Long exposure noise reduction Off

High ISO noise reduction Off

Shutter Speed = Bulb

Aperture = F00

ISO Speed = ISO800

Shooting Mode = Manual

White Balance = Automatic White Balance

Drive Mode = 2 second self timer

Picture Style = Standard

Metering Mode = Evaluative Metering

AF Mode = Manual Focusing

Image Recording Quality = Raw + Large/Fine

Those look right to me Mike. That's pretty much my setup, except I don't bother with raw and jpg, just raw. A timer remote shutter is unbelievably useful, and can be had for about 1/3 the price of the official canon ones by checking on ebay, although you can shoot tethered via the USB cable, both controlling the camera and capture directly to the PC, either using the EOS utility program that shipped with the camera, of one of the dedicated astro capture programs designed for it.

Much beyond that, is really a bit of trial and error as it will depend on your conditions, and your mounts tracking ability etc.

Congrats on your new 450D, You'll have loads of fun with the camera, good thing about DSLR's they give a very large FOV even compared with expensive CCD Astro Cameras for the fraction of the price.

Wow ! I still remember my 1st shot through my 450D, I think it was Capella & what a sight it was, never seen so many stars.

Enjoy !

Hi,

I got this remote from Amazon - it's invaluable, as others have said above ~ I wouldn't be without it!

Liz :)

I bought the wireless one Liz. 100 metre range allegedly. I did operate the camera from and upstairs room, while the Wife monitored it downstairs. She was Impressed, so that's a first.:)

Ron.

:)

I bought the wireless one Liz. 100 metre range allegedly. I did operate the camera from and upstairs room, while the Wife monitored it downstairs. She was Impressed, so that's a first.:rolleyes:

Ron.

Now that's got me thinking ~ there are endless possiblilities! :)

Liz

Archived