NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I'm Knackered! Repairing the Obsy

RichieJarvis

Hi All,

I've spent today fixing what should have been done right in the first place.

The original shed roof that the roll-off roof rolled over (try saying that when your drunk!) has been leaking like a sieve from day one :)

The problem was threefold - firstly, the water backed up next to the angle-iron roof rails. Secondly, the roof felt was cut off too soon, and water seaped into the gap and ran down the shed walls. Thirdly, the drop on the roof was only 10 cm over a 3.6m length.

None of which was a good idea!

To fix it meant completely rebuilding the roof.

A fellow Astronomer who is also a ex-builder was foreman, and told me what to do. Thanks Neil! - get onto SGL.

First, we removed the previous mess. Then improved the run-off to 20cm over 3.6m, put a couple of 5cm channels in, and ran new felt which goes from end-to-end.

Now we just have to wait till it rains (Wednesday I believe) to find out whether it was worth it.

Oh, and this is phase 1 - phase 2 involves placing the rolling roof on 50cm stilts, putting a suspended floor in, and increasing the pier height. I am not going to miss Sagitarius next year! :)

I'll post some pictures, but am too tired tonight!

Cheers,

Richie

Archived